Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm devistated

Old 09-20-2008, 10:56 AM

Default RE: I'm devistated

Get back in there and go to the last place you saw here at. Start walking trails and making circles around that last spot looking for blood. If all else fails just start walking the trails in all the different directions looking for a down deer. Dont get down about it, as everyone has stated that happens to everybody. The only way to make yourself feel any better about it would be to get out there and do all you can to find it. If you dont find it after trying as hard as you can there is a good chance she lived and you may get another pop at her next year. Good luck
Old 09-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay..

1. The rage isnt what kept you from penetrating. But if you are going to shoot a rage, shoot the 2 blade. The three blade has smaller cutting diameter and less penetration than the 2 blade. So why shoot a 3 blade?

2. Shot placement is what stopped the arrow. You must have hit the shoulder. To only penetrate 3 inches is not the fault of a BH.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

I don't believe ANYONE'S arrow can completely penetrate the shoulder knuckle. NOT the shoulder blade, but the knuckle, or "joint".
i gotta disagree there. I've done it, once on a bad shot too far forward.

Also shot a deer quartering too much and sent one at a sharp angle behind the shoulder and out through the hard "knuckle" of the hip.

100 grain Muzzy 4 blade and expedition hunter carbon arows..

it can happen.

PS-- both shots were less than 20 yards, on smallish deer, 100- 115 lbs
Old 09-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

I'd venture to say you hit her high, and hit the shoulder blade bone. I did that on a little buck here in PA a long time ago. Killed him out of the same tree 2 weeks later.

I got both broadheads back!

If you looked as hard as you can and didn't find any blood, I'd say she's probably ok. I"m not saying to give up, but it sounds as though she'll have a sore shoulder for awhile and recover.

Your broadhead isn't the problem here. That's a tough piece of bone, some rifle bullets don't pass through that.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: moose1915

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

I don't believe ANYONE'S arrow can completely penetrate the shoulder knuckle. NOT the shoulder blade, but the knuckle, or "joint".
i gotta disagree there. I've done it, once on a bad shot too far forward.

Also shot a deer quartering too much and sent one at a sharp angle behind the shoulder and out through the hard "knuckle" of the hip.

100 grain Muzzy 4 blade and expedition hunter carbon arows..

it can happen.

PS-- both shots were less than 20 yards, on smallish deer, 100- 115 lbs
I really question some of you ( Matt/Schultzy) on what your refering to as "shoulder" and "shoulder joint". The shoulder is the blade and joint, if your into that, unless it's back extremely, your way far forward and high. The "elbow" blocks the heart. I'm assuming his shot is errant NOT behind the shoulder. The broadhead is NOT the cause even though I'm not a fan of the 3 blade Rage, the 2 Blade is better. The issue here is shot placement and the words Matt typed earlier on what he thought he saw was in fact not what happened. At the moment of truth, the eyes can lie to you.

Rory made a bad shot. It happens.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can not disagree a bad shot can and will happen at times. That doesn't really matter how hard you have practiced, things can happen. I made a bad shot once when a deer tried to jump my arrow. The deer's jump was a bit slow and it graced it in the lower flank. Also the fact there was light rain going on made tracking very difficult for it. AsI had left it for an hour and then went back tracking it. A wounded deer will lay down as soon as it can get the chance to if it is not pushed. This one did but it was a surprize to find it had run up hill rather than down hill. This was the dayI had lurned to follow a wounded deer with out any blood to follow. One thing mentioned in here is circling to find the track and or blood trail.This is very important when trying to locate a wounded deer or any other animal. Looking for blood or hair on the bushes where the deer might have went threw. By taking your time and remaining calm you should be able to see what the generaldirection it is heading into. Also remember that broadhead is still in the deer cutting away as it goes so she should be laying down some place near-by. She will first find a spot she feels safe in and try to pull the rest of that arrow out with her teeth and then you will see plenty of blood. Stay calm and look for the split toes as you circle around and should should be able to locate her again. If she is still alive she will be much weaker by now from the blood loss. So again stay calm and take your time! Good Luck on locating her.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rory,
"XXIT HAPPENS," I'm betting she dropped just enough after you released that you busted her in the blade. "OUCH," but she'll likely survive if so. You said your shooting 63#, what bow, and what DL, you look pretty tall, I'd guess 28-29" at a minimum, and depending on the bow, you may or may not have sufficient energy for that shot into a blade. I did it shooting 72# on a little deer a couple years ago, but I'm not sure on a BIG MATURE buck, I could. "Head up," and don't let it get you that far down. You're a big part of the reason your little bro got his, I'm sure, so don't let him see you down too low!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doug, I'm shooting a Truth 2, 28" draw. Oh BTW I'm 5'10" 150.

Thanks for the support guys, I really do appreciate it.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

I dont know when I shoot my muzzy's 125 with my bowtech commander 50-60lbs goes through the shoulder blade...And makes a perfect 3 blade cut.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nissan300ztt

I dont know when I shoot my muzzy's 125 with my bowtech commander 50-60lbs goes through the shoulder blade...And makes a perfect 3 blade cut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.