Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Knife Sharpening >

Knife Sharpening

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Knife Sharpening

Old 10-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Knife Sharpening

ORIGINAL: standsleeper

Lansky kit and the arc tube from a high pressure sodium lamp to touch it up.
was snooping through some old stuff and found this....i the arc tube as well
Old 10-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dbldroptine

I use the Gatco sharpening system. I have had it for about 6-7 years and it works great for my thicker bladed hunting knifes.
X2

Also away from home I have a double carbide stick, with a few light swipes and then hit it with the steel it will create a quick razor edge.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:54 PM

Lansky but this one looks interesting: http://www.kmesharp.com/Products.html the sharper you want it, the finer the stones you need.

I never sharpen knives in the field, I pack along a couple surgically sharp knives and they last me anywhere from boning out an entire deer on a day hunt to boning out entire moose on a 10 day float hunt. I return them to scary sharp when I get home.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:53 PM

Check out the Apex. A little pricy but WELL worth it. Extremely easy to use, best purchase I have ever made.

www.edgeproinc.com
Old 10-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Banned

KME system - its what Lansky and Smith sharpeners are suppose to be !
Old 10-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

The best way to sharpen a knife is not to let it get dull. Trite, but true! And by that I mean, sharpening it after every use. I keep my hunting knifes shaving sharp with an ordinary sharpening steel. If they do get dull, then I have to work them on an Arkansas stone before I lay them to the steel. I've tried a bunch of sharpening devices, from Lansky's to variousV-shaped deals made from all sorts of materials. Some worked. Some flat didn't. Some where nightmarish in their complexity and process required. None of them work as quickly or as surely as routine, quick swiping on a steel.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

just get a buck knife.the best sharper is the one you can use and get a edge with.now days they are all good
Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

diamond stone just because it's the only one that comes close to the stone that i lost. when you sharpen your knife with a stone count your strokes to get it even, or just feel your edge to make sure it's even.you can feel a ridge if it's uneven then just hit the ridge side 1 more time,make sure that your strokes have the same angle. after a few knives you'll get the hang of it. a diamond steel is small enough to carry in your pocket and can be used at any time. wal-mart has one for $4-$5. for skinning, sharpen from the handle to the tip, again count your strokes. for stabbing, sharpen from tip to handle. i lightly feel the edge with my left finger tips because my right hand is more calloused(spelling) than my right. i usually sharpen all the knives at hunting camp, some are harder to sharpen than others and have to be hit with a leatherman file which i've found works best for me. hope this helps