HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Target/Hunting arrows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/263822-target-hunting-arrows.html)

brushbustin 09-18-2008 02:11 PM

Target/Hunting arrows

Im a total noob to bowhunting as i got my first compound bow (diamond) about 1.5 months ago.But i am already profienct with it and very consistant with it out to 40 yds,but have put a 30 yd limit on myself when it comes to shooting at deer.Anyway i bought a box of 12 carbon arrows,and i set 3 aside for target practice and have been practiceing with muzzy 3 blades 100gr.Now my question is do you guys use the same arrows that you practice with or do you set aside a certain number of arrows?The muzzy broadheads i've been practiceing with are pretty dull from the target and im going to changethe blades this weekend for the bow opener next weekend.I don't want to dull them so should i shoot them after i change the blades to just make sure they are still on?I hope i made a little sense here.

mauser06 09-18-2008 02:48 PM

RE: Target/Hunting arrows

heres what i do....i shoot muzzys as well.

for some odd reason, certain shafts will only shoot straight with a different broadhead ferrule on them. i cant explain it. i can switch broadheads onto different shafts and they will be off by an inch or 2...different directions off...some low..some high..some right...(hmmm never really left..) some inserts just arent lining up with certain broadhead ferrules is my guess...not 100% square or something.

i went and numbered all of my arrows with a small number, each one different. used a sharpie and wrote the number small on a fletching.

shot all the heads and shafts till i got them all shooting where im aiming and flying straight.

those broadhead furreles stay with that shaft all season. i practice with them on...if i shoot fieldpoints i will keep them together. ive found switching blades doesnt change the way they shoot...im on 2 seasons with my dulled heads. when its hunt time, i just swap them for fresh ones...when i am target shooting i throw dull ones back in. but the broadhead ferrule never leaves the shaft i have it matched with....

nissan300ztt 09-18-2008 03:05 PM

RE: Target/Hunting arrows

Well man ive been shooting for 19 years only 13 have been hunting..It also depends on the draw weight of your bow. The higher poundage and faster fps the more chance the arrow has of planing which is the blade of a fixed blade broadhead almost act as a wing, This meaning your fletchings arent controlling your arrow. For expample on my 50-60# bowtech commander I shooting 85gr muzzy's.. On my 70lbs darton I use rage 3 blades. The slower the bow and lower FPS id recommend a fixed blade. The faster higher draw go with a mechanical. Its something ive been dealing with at my friends archery shop for 13 years. Hope this helped if you need more info email me [email protected]