HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Nice Ct. drop tine buck (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/263750-nice-ct-drop-tine-buck.html)

rutt 09-18-2008 06:51 AM

Nice Ct. drop tine buck

Got to my stand today at 1445 hrs. with the hopes of seeing a nice drop tine 10 pt. that me and my buddy had gotten a few trail cam photos of over the past few weeks.The action started around 1630 hrs. when two does came waltzing behind my treesand.They stuck around for awhile,and then meandered off towards a stream that is directly to the left of my stand.Things remained quiet for the next hour.Then at 1743 hrs.,I had a small forkhorn walk in and hang around my stand for about 20 minutes.The deer then proceeded to walk off in the same direction as the two does.Within a minute after the forky walked off,I saw the big drop tine buck heading towards my stand.The buck was approaching my stand very slowly,acting quite skittish due to the racket that the squirrels were making around my stand.Just watching how this deer behaved compared to the others that I saw,you could tell it was a mature animal.The buck took about 15 minutes to walk 10 yards.Eventually the deer ended up standing off to my left at 10 yards,offering me no chance at a shot due to several small branches and body angle (quatering to me).I was at full draw for sometime when the buck was finally spooked off by the squirrels.The deer then stood at about 40 yards and remained obscured by branches and saplings.Then suddenly what appears but a smaller 8 pt. buck which proceeds to walk over to the big 10.The bucks then began lightly sparring for several minutes before they both eventually walked off.I thought that was it for the night.Then,at 1845 hrs. I see the smaller 8 heading back towards me again,with the big 10 trailing about 30 yards behind.The 8 pt. driifted away from my stand but the big drop tine 10 continued on a course that was taking it 20 yards out in front of my stand.I came to full draw but was unable to get a shot once again due to brush and saplings.the deer then turned and began walking directly at my stand and stopped 10 yards away,facing me and offering no shot....again.I waited at full draw for about a minute plus,when the deer finally turned and began walking away,offering me a nice 22 yard quatering away shot.At the shot,I watched the deer mule kick as the arrow took it perfectly behind the right shoulder.As the deer ran off it stumbled to the ground twice before disappearing.I then got my gear together and proceeded to call my two buddies who arrived shortly to help me track.The blood trail was a little spotty at first but then it got heavier.We were on the trail when one of my friends looked up and noticed the buck lying about 25 yards in front of us.The deer only made it 50 or so yards.Upon inspection of the buck I noticed that my shot was perfect.It took out both lungs and the top part of the heart before exiting through the left shoulder.The arrow had also been snapped in two.I used my 67 # '05 Pearson Edge bow with 250 Carbon Express arrows tipped with a 100 grain Magnus Snuffer SS broadhead and guided by 3 blazer vanes.Total arrow weight was 368 grains.Arrow speed was chrono'ed at 286 fps.I also used a Scott silver Horn release,TR Drop Zone rest, and a Viper Predator sight.The deer dressed out at 182 lbs.It has a few kickers on its' left beam including the drop tine.

Here is a trailcam shot of the buck taken a few days before I killed it.

early in 09-18-2008 06:54 AM

RE: Nice Ct. drop tine buck

Awesome trophy! Congrats.

HoosierHunter79 09-18-2008 06:54 AM

nice !

rybohunter 09-18-2008 06:59 AM

Congrats. You always drop a nice buck each year.

buckeyehntr5 09-18-2008 06:59 AM

WooHoo! Great looking buck...Gotta love a buck with some character. That dude's gotta big old body on him. Congrats!

oakcreek 09-18-2008 07:01 AM

Very nice congrats

Planter 09-18-2008 07:01 AM

Very cool Ct deer!!! congrats.

NY/Al 09-18-2008 07:01 AM

Awesome buck man! Smile!:D;)

txjourneyman 09-18-2008 07:03 AM

Very nice.