Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If you just have to shoot a young buck..... >

If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

No sir. Monroe country pa was one of the fastest growing in the nation for a short time. And people were feeding the deer and the amount of hunters we had dropped dramatically. And our county has 1-1.5 million doe im sur they are estimtes but thats what the PA fish and game commision told hunters..At one time we were allowed 3 doe permits.
nissan.....lol

Your STATE "might" have 1.5M deer. Your COUNTY doesn't. Period.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

And how do you know that 2.5 year olds are plentiful and his area has the potential to grow big deer
Read my comment right below what you highlighted and you've got your answer.

Let me try to state my opnion in another way. Again, I am talking about the guys who do have a choice and yet chooses to shoot the "in between" deer anyway. Either shoot a little one or a big one.....leave the others for next year, and yes maybe your neighbor, but at least give them a chance. You want to give the little one a chance as well? Fine, no problem with that either.

I have two 25-30year oldinexperienced bowhunters hunting with me next weekend. One has killed two deer with his bow, the other is still looking for the first.They will probably only get to hunt a total of 5 or 6 days the entire season. Here is the actual discussion we will have.

I prefer you shoot a doe or a big buck, but if you have an opportunity to shoot a buck like the one below and want to, you have my blessing.

If you have an opportunity to shoot the deer to the left, have at it. I might shoot him myself, I don't know yet, depends on how he looks with the naked eye.
But under no circumtances do I want you shooting a deer in the size range of the one to the right, even if it means going home empty.

If I am wrong I am wrong, but as I said, I'll have no more or less satisfaction shooting the first one as the one to the right.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nissan300ztt

No sir. Monroe country pa was one of the fastest growing in the nation for a short time. And people were feeding the deer and the amount of hunters we had dropped dramatically. And our county has 1-1.5 million doe im sur they are estimtes but thats what the PA fish and game commision told hunters..At one time we were allowed 3 doe permits.
You wouldn't be able to swing a dead cat without knocking over about 6 deer if that were the case.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Jack....

For hunters with the kind of experience you say they have....."I" think you're asking a helluva lot. Heat of the moment....and they're gonna shoot that deer on the right. They'll shoot and ask forgiveness (IMO) a LOT of deer.

As long as you know this going in.....you're alright. But I think you're setting yourself up for a likely disappointment.

Just my .02
Old 09-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

You wouldn't be able to swing a dead cat without knocking over about 6 deer if that were the case.
True....and you'd likely have a harder time MISSING!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot the one with spots... they are simply delicious! Make sure there are no buttons on its head though....
Old 09-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

I know if i can find the article I will post the link this was last years number they havent published anything this year.were all woods here my friend. And its mountains.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

In my county in VA we have the largest deer pop per square mile, it ranges from 45 to 100 deer per square mile in certain parts of the county. It ranks up there with some of the deep south states. The county is roughly 500 square miles. At a Max thats 50,000 deer and 22,500 a min, No offense but 1.5 Million thats about the deer pop for the state of VA.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know if i can find the article I will post the link this was last years number they havent published anything this year.were all woods here my friend. And its mountains.
It's not mountains, its deer stacked 20 high.[8D]
Old 09-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=482&q=151378

If asked about statewide deer populations, the answer would be that the population has increased from about 1,200,000 in 1990 to about 1,500,000 in 2000.
If the PA STATE deer population was estimated at 1.5 mil in 2000, I doubt your COUNTY was at 1.5 mil in 2007 -- Just a hunch.

Quick Reply: If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.