HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Have to Complain.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/263676-have-complain.html)

KS227 09-17-2008 07:25 PM

Have to Complain....

Does a Hunter Safety System really need to cost 140.00....

Carpmaster 09-17-2008 07:26 PM

RE: Have to Complain....

I wouldnt think so, that was what I was thinking when I looked at them..

Bowtech 360 09-17-2008 07:26 PM

how much is ti worth to your family that you come safe and alive?

Double Creek 09-17-2008 07:31 PM

No

Kamil 09-17-2008 07:35 PM

worth every penny

SuperRedHawk 09-17-2008 07:37 PM

I've seen them cheaper than that, Cabelas hassome going on sale for 89 and 99 bucks.
And yea, I thinkit's worth it

GR8atta2d 09-17-2008 07:40 PM

Yeah $79's about the norm in this area.

fingerz42 09-17-2008 07:42 PM

Not for the Pro series mesh one. If you see it for $79 take a cell phone picture and post it. Seeing is believing.

virginiashadow 09-17-2008 07:43 PM

I've always just used the safety harnesses that came with my treestand purchases.....locks me in from my shoulders to my thighs.

nctaxi 09-17-2008 07:43 PM

Trip to the emergency room = $700
Wheelchair = $300
Weeks of therapy = $2000
Your family emptying your bedpan = priceless

Yea it's worth it.

Kelly/KY 09-17-2008 08:05 PM

Lot's of good harnesses out there for cheaper, yet not many as comfortable. I'd pay the extra price for the HSS pro's ease and comfort.

Mike from Texas 09-17-2008 08:15 PM

Not as long as your life is not worth $140.:eek:

GR8atta2d 09-17-2008 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

Not for the Pro series mesh one. If you see it for $79 take a cell phone picture and post it. Seeing is believing.
Didn't see any specifications for a Pro-Series mesh in the original posters thread..

BuckGrunt101 09-17-2008 08:18 PM

how much is your life worth to you?

bigtim6656 09-17-2008 08:19 PM

how much is your back or neck worth

GR8atta2d 09-17-2008 08:22 PM

But a even a quick search saved you 24$ + tax
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hunter-Safety-System-Pro-Series-Vest-HSS6-L-XL-NEW_W0QQitemZ220281665637QQihZ012QQcategoryZ159036 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

solocamcan 09-17-2008 08:25 PM

I bought the HSS TreeStalker one for $69.00 at BassPro and the ONLY difference is the mesh and 2 chest pocketsthat velcro shut, I don't live in Tx or FLA, so not having the "cooler" mesh isn't a big deal, besides I think those briar's would eat through that mesh anyways.

davidmil 09-17-2008 08:35 PM

Depends on which one you get. I never saw one cost that much. I haven't shopped for one lately either. I've owned both the Pro(mesh) which I have now and the all fabric one. At the time I bought them they were $99 and $119 for the mesh. Maybe they've gone up a bunch, but $140 seems high. Is it worth what you have to pay. You BET. Don't leave home without it.

P.S. The mesh one is a pain in the butt at times. Bark catches in the little holes and hangs you up. I now just scrape the tree clean of as much junk as I can. Get a prusics rope instead of the tree strap.

IA Buck Hunter 09-17-2008 10:11 PM

I just picked up the HSS proseries at a Sportsmans Warehouse in Des Moines for $120. Yea I thought it was a little high priced but I got tired of my free one that came with my stand getting tangled up last year. Worth it to me.

Tribal 09-17-2008 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: KS227

Does a Hunter Safety System really need to cost 140.00....
uhh for my life..... I think I'll pay it. To me its my favorite sytem and they have GREAT customer service. Replaced one of my buckles they paid for shipping,pick up delivery all under 5 working days. My vest is 4 years old.

djs06dc5 09-17-2008 10:32 PM

i have the mesh version and love it. the only thing i didn't like is the weight of it, not to heavy though. if it snags on stuff, wear it under something. and they are on sale at cabelas.

Get a prusics rope instead of the tree strap.
x2

ACPOSSETIM 09-17-2008 10:36 PM

I can't swear to it but I think insurance premiums may have a little to do with it. I hate to say it but in todays lawsuit world, all it takes is one person suing you and you are out of buisiness. That is where the TMA helps out the manufacturers but I can only imagine the insurance is awfully pricey!! Also, do you really want to cut prices on components that may save your butt?

gregrn43 09-17-2008 10:40 PM

hmmmmmmmmm worth it, a fall that could lead to death or $140 hmmmmmmmmm thats a no brainer

mikeshunk 09-18-2008 04:38 AM

Obviously my life is worth more then $140, but I think what he is saying is the price of that particular brand. You can find other brand vest type harnesses for half of what a HSS costs. I really want one, but I will just use the harness that came with my Summit climber. It is a little of a pain to put on, but for that price I will just deal with the hassle. I believe, like many products, advertising costs are part of it.

wis_bow_huntr 09-18-2008 05:01 AM

I dont think they need to be that much but hey, can you put a price tag on your life???

GMMAT 09-18-2008 05:10 AM

Yeah $79's about the norm in this area.
Not for th eone everyone wants (pro mesh).

Honestly....I waited until after the season was over a couple years ago. I picked mine up on clearance (pro mesh) for $90.

NOW is not the time.....unless you don't have one, already. To be honest.....I haven't worn mine, yet, this year. too hot (even the mesh). I've been wearing the cheap-o that came with a gorilla lock on, so far. The mesh will likely go out this weekend.

I'd say use what you have this season. Wait for them to go on sale....and be diligent in your looking. The deals will be there.

But...WEAR SOMETHING!;)

HoosierHunter79 09-18-2008 07:01 AM

has anyone actually fallen out of a stand before?

NY/Al 09-18-2008 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: HoosierHunter79

has anyone actually fallen out of a stand before?

Yes, people have fallen out of stands before....

il coyote 09-18-2008 07:08 AM

Wow, buy THAT harness...or die?????

How exactly is the HSS that much of a life-saving design over standard harnesses?

kevin1 09-18-2008 07:09 AM

You can buy harnesses just as good cheaper.

wihunter402 09-18-2008 07:21 AM

I say they are worth it. I got 2 one for me and one for my son. We will NOT go in the tree without them. They are FAR more comfortable than what we had and safety is ALL that HSS does. Others I have owned come loose just walking in the woods. This one stays where I put it ALL day. When I have the kind of money involved in all the other items I use for hunting I will NOT skimp on a harness.

GMMAT you haven't worn it yet this year? You can fall early season just as easy as late season. Do your family a favor and just wear it. Yes it may be warm but come on. Wear it for them.

bigtim6656 09-18-2008 08:13 AM

not sure there safer just easyer to use

ORIGINAL: il coyote

How exactly is the HSS that much of a life-saving design over standard harnesses?

wihunter402 09-18-2008 08:16 AM

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

Very easy to use. If easy to use than you are more likely to wear it over one that is a pain in the ass so therefore it is safer.

GMMAT 09-18-2008 08:18 AM

GMMAT you haven't worn it yet this year? You can fall early season just as easy as late season. Do your family a favor and just wear it. Yes it may be warm but come on. Wear it for them.
I'm guessing you didn't read my entire post.;)

bigtim6656 09-18-2008 08:20 AM

true except not sure compared to a normal harness that you have on it is safer. Kind like saying wearing a bike helmet that is safer because you would wear it then a normal helmet.

ORIGINAL: wihunter402

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

Very easy to use. If easy to use than you are more likely to wear it over one that is a pain in the ass so therefore it is safer.

wihunter402 09-18-2008 08:30 AM

Oh I did and completely missed the part about wearing the strap one. Sorry about that.

As for safer yes I know what I was saying. I have been hunting with guys that would just skip wearing a harness because it was a pain to put on. Also the one that I had was one with the rings for legs straps. The straps would always come loose even just standing up and sitting back down on stand. I would have to remember to keep checking them. If they are loose I don't think it will be as safe either. I know there are others out there that don't come loose but of the ones I have seen the HSS is still the most comfortable and stays put. Hope that makes sense.

-DeerSlayer- 09-18-2008 08:34 AM

I don't care id it can save your life, almost any kind of harness can. It should hot be that much money, what are the parts that make it add up to that much? It makes no sense, they advertise it as being comfortable and safe, but to be honest I would rather have a regular harness, it does the same job and usually comes with the deer stand... I can't spend that kind of money on a harness...

huntingson 09-18-2008 08:34 AM

"What is your life worth?" seems a bit excessive don't you think? Hell, the old style straps work just fine and they are like 20-25 bucks. I did finally buy the full body dealy, but I don't see it as an absolute necessity. As long as you have some reliable safety harness that will keep you from falling you are good.