HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   POACHER CAUGHT WITH CROSSBOW (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/263621-poacher-caught-crossbow.html)

Matt/NC 09-17-2008 01:30 PM

POACHER CAUGHT WITH CROSSBOW

I saw last night where a poacher was caught with a 12 pointer. His weapon of choice was an 80 lb crossbow pistol. These things are like $40 bucks at the local store and seem to be to easy for poachers to sneek with. Are these things even capable of a clean kill? I mean they should not sell these, they serve no purpose locally

robbcayman 09-17-2008 01:42 PM

RE: POACHER CAUGHT WITH CROSSBOW

I'm glad they busted him. Crossbows are legal in my state if you have adoctor's permit.

Hmm... honestly, until you said a crossbow pistol I had never heard of one. I don't know that much about them, does anyone have any insight about these?

badassbowtech 09-17-2008 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

I'm glad they busted him. Crossbows are legal in my state if you have adoctor's permit.

I thought crossbowsstarted out atlike $400, no?
No not the cheap little pistol type. I didn't think it would have enough to kill anything. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Matt/NC 09-17-2008 01:45 PM

This was a crossbow Pistol....It is like a handgun with a crossbow twist. I looked the exact one he used up and it is like $40 at the local outdoor store

Matt/NC 09-17-2008 01:46 PM

The one I saw when I looked it up was set at 80 lbs. that seems like a poachers dream weapon

BILBEC613 09-17-2008 01:54 PM

I had one when I was a teenager. If it's the same one it would have to be a very well placed shot and very close range. Poachers need to be

Rhino259 09-17-2008 01:58 PM

Was it anything like this?

The description says.
This is not a highend pistol crossbow as you can guess by it's low cost. However, it is a great starter for practicing and getting aquainted with crossbows. Pistol crossbow can be used for hunting small game and getting rid of vermin. Please follow local hunting regulations if using for hunting.
There looks to be no way to put broadheads on those bolts. So I guess the poacher was using field points.

BILBEC613 09-17-2008 02:09 PM

That's the one!!!

kevin1 09-17-2008 02:18 PM

An 80# pistol is roughly equivalent to a 20-30# bow, the placement would have to be very precise. The power stroke on crossbows is less than half that of a bow, which is why their poundage is so much greater than a compound or trad. My state requires a minimum of 125#, they only require 35# minimum for bows.

UncleNorby 09-17-2008 02:19 PM

Well, there you go.

"They should not sell them, nobody needs one." That's the logic the anti's use.

Punish the criminal, not what he used to commit the crime.