HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   gut knife (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/263620-gut-knife.html)

bigtim6656 09-17-2008 01:28 PM

gut knife

ok guys last year i bought a remington gut knife it has a gut hook on it.

When i got home i noticed it was not sharp at all. I friend sharpened it for me.
Well i got all my stuff out and it is just to dull to use for anything wont even cut cardboard. I was thinking about buying a new knife.
What would you recommend for gutting a deer.
Also what do you guys recommend for sharpening knifes. i have thought about getting a lansky kit.

SPIKEHORN11 09-17-2008 01:37 PM

RE: gut knife

Gerber gator II with a gut hook and serrated blade. I like the serrated blade for cutting through the rib cage. The blade is sharp enough to shave with.

HuntinAddict 09-17-2008 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

Also what do you guys recommend for sharpening knifes. i have thought about getting a lansky kit.
To answer your first question, something sharp. A lansky kit works great.

rynigner 09-17-2008 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntinAddict

To answer your first question, something sharp. A lansky kit works great.
+1 I also use a lansky kit, I never had anyone around to teach me how to sharpen a knife proper on a stone.... The Lansky Kit is great, very very hard to screw it up and capable of putting on a variety of edges!

MikeyL24 09-17-2008 01:54 PM

A nice cheap plastic Wyoming Knife with replaceable blades.

bigtim6656 09-17-2008 02:36 PM

something i thought about for opening the deer up was a drywall knife my dad got from lowes.
It is a folding knife but takes razor blades that are replaceable gut the deer throw the razor away. what do you guys think of that.

rynigner 09-17-2008 02:54 PM

something i thought about for opening the deer up was a drywall knife my dad got from lowes.
It is a folding knife but takes razor blades that are replaceable gut the deer throw the razor away. what do you guys think of that.
The tips break off too easy, don't want that too happen and you discover it with your hand... I would think it would be too much trouble getting through the breast plate. Having a larger blade comes in handy as well when you are in the chest cavity...

live2Draw 09-17-2008 02:56 PM

I swear by my Old timer 1940t
Great blade shape, perfect size, easy to shardpen and hods an edge well.
i have dressed deer with damn near anything tho.
I have a friend who swears by the disposable round blade scalpels

bigtim6656 09-17-2008 02:58 PM

well i thought about a large knife for the breast plate just the razor knife for the skin

ORIGINAL: rynigner

The tips break off too easy, don't want that too happen and you discover it with your hand... I would think it would be too much trouble getting through the breast plate. Having a larger blade comes in handy as well when you are in the chest cavity...

rynigner 09-17-2008 03:04 PM

Last year I grabbed my Elk knife by mistake when heading out for whitetail. Got a doe and my knife was too large to cut around the anus. I carry a razor knife in my truck always, and used it around the anus. It did a great job, but I would not want to use it anywhere else..... But to each his own, give it a shot and see how it turns out.