Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When you think about it.. >

When you think about it..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When you think about it..

Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When you think about it..

Succesfully harvesting a deer with a bow is an incredible accomplishment. I was just thinking the other day at how limited our range is, mine being 35 yards. Sounds like no biggy right? But then take into consideration the size of your hunting property. Ours is 260+ acres (a healthy bit of land)and we are trying to get within 35 yards of a deer. Granted we put ourselves in good position rather than just throwin down a stand on any tree (which seems like the best idea a lot of the time!). We hunt trails to and from food sources/bedding areas, funnels, ridegtops etc. But when you step back and think about the amount of land you are actually hunting, and then what it takes to get within 40 yarrds of a deer and STILL make the shot, it really makes bowhunting very rewarding.
Just my thought of the day.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: When you think about it..

I started out hunting in Illinois where shotguns are used. Early on, many of us did not use slug barrels or scopes, just the regular smoothbore rabbit/quail gun with a slug in it. Not much in the way of human scent maskers, scents to attract deer,calls, etc. Taking a deerat 40 yards under those circumstances was no small accomplishment either.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree.....and when you throw in the mix hunting for a particular deer.....I'm amazed at how the stars must align for it to happen. Right place.....right time.....right day.....right shot opportunity......right wind.....etc...

Amazed.

Sometimes all those things work out except one. If you think about it in those terms....it's amazing it all comes together.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some guys have been watching way too many Uncle Ted videos[8D]
Old 09-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks you for reminding me how incredibly awesome I am[8D]
Old 09-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Dominant Buck

When it happens for you, Lanse....you'll realize what I'm saying is true.

Luck plays a big part in it......for sure.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:59 PM

Yep. You can do all the right things, and do everything you can to gain the advantage....You can put yourself in the right spot, you can take solid scent control measures, you can be a proficient bow shot.....You can hunt smart and hard......and STILL it comes down to whether the deer feel like walking past your stand location that day or not. All the odds in your favor don't have much to do with that.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Some guys have been watching way too many Uncle Ted videos[8D]
i think somebody just doesn't understand the true pride, accomplishment and respect one can gain from an outdoor experience