Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 09-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When a buck disappears- where does he go ?

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Getting more and more nocturnal as fall approaches.

BINGO! for my area anyway.....
Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I knew the answer to that question I wouldn't be working here right now!!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

To eat something else....somewhere else?

I think (Emphasis on "think") that they have multiple cores within their home range. What you're seeing is what I see here every year. Their summer core is different when the food source changes. I'm seeing it change, here, right now. they're getting off the beans and onto the mast crops....although the beans are greener than ever and plentiful. The acorns are falling, though. I heard them hitting all around me, last night.

I've said it before.....wher emy bucks, here, "summer" .....is different from where they "winter". It's a simple way of stating what I did before.

Find his next preferred food source....and you'll find his next core.

It's also getting time for them to think about splitting up.....so your chances of spotting him will go down...if he's a lone buck (in lieu of several).

Three seasons and this is my "theory". Take it with a grain of salt.
I think GMMAT is pretty dead on. I know here in Illinois you can watch groups of bucks all summer feeding in beans, but once the beans start to dry up they move onto the next preferred food source.Also, once the velvet comes off and the bachelor groups break up, the bucks put a little space between themselves, so I guess you can say the core area expands at that point. We all know how far a buck will travel during the rut,so it only makes sense that the bucks will start expanding that area as soon as the bachelor groups break up. I am going thru this right now, I have been watching a group of six really good bucks all summer, but have not seen them with my eye are camera in the last two weeks.
I agree GMMAT hit this dead on. You have to remember too, that by the end of summer most natural browse (grasses and what not) are dry, coarse and have lost virtually all nutritional value.

It's like GMMAT said, they have multiple ranges in their core area. We hardly ever see mature bucks on property during the summer (with the exception of this summer, we got some good pics)because the majority of our property is on a south facing ridge and its simply too hott for a lot of deer during the summer. And this usedtoworrymebefore we decided that the inactivity, if you will, was due to the facing of our slope. We were always seeing nice bucks during the hunting season, but never during the springand summer. However, as it begins to cool, the acorns start to fall and the days shorten, the bucks gravitate their way back to our property.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

As others have said, they adjust their food source and there patterns start to change due to the upcoming events of fall. I see only small bucks together right now and less and less deer in the fields. The acrons are dropping everywhere around me and they seem to be into them pretty thick. Also, my stand by the river is pretty loaded as the bucks are starting to use the thickets and funnels in the river bottomas they start to become more territorial. Depends on the lay of your land, but i usually find the big boys in last place I look, so I have learned to switch my thinking and start from there.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think (Emphasis on "think") that they have multiple cores within their home range. What you're seeing is what I see here every year. Their summer core is different when the food source changes. I'm seeing it change, here, right now. they're getting off the beans and onto the mast crops....although the beans are greener than ever and plentiful. The acorns are falling, though.
This is pretty accurate.

It's common sense where a whitetail goes.. but so many over-look it because we all think we are such an advanced civilization.. and we forget basic principles.

First.. remembering that whitetail have been on this earth for like 1 miilion years. Only over the last 100 years or so has man been cultivating the landscape and replacing woods with farmland.

It's natural instinct that a whitetail flocks to acorns this time of year. It is the main source of nutrition that will see them through winter. It was not long ago when bean and corn-fields did not spread rampant across the countryside.

Whitetail are just going where mother nature has intended them to go to for the last 100,000+ years.

Seek the acorns and you will find your deer.

I could elaborate further.. but I hate typing.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bingo

98% time they do not go anywhere, they just move at night.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

quote:

Bingo

This is true as well. But seeking your Oaks is your best bet.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Gary....believe me I'm not disputing what you say.....but "do not go anywhere" is a broad stroke. IfI only had the lands I have this year (and didn't have access to the lands I did, last year)....I'd be freaking out, right now. I watched 3 bucks enter a bean field corner EVERY time we got a west wind. I was tickled pink. But....I haven't seen one of them in those beans in over 3 weeks. I sat that corner on a west wind, Monday evening. Nothing. I saw a few does and fawns in the field above me.....but where I was....NOTHING (and the beans in that corner are decimated).

I know they're moving on.....and I know it isn't far away. That's a good thing. I'll get in that timber, soon. It's a long season.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 PM

they are still there, watching you go to your stand. they didnt move far

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.