HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I messed up tonight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/263511-i-messed-up-tonight.html)

jmbuckhunter 09-16-2008 07:29 PM

I messed up tonight

I had a doe and 2 fawns coming to my food plot in the back yard at about 5:15. They were coming from straight in front of me. I got stood up and ready for the shot. Just as they went under a limb to enter the plot I drew my bow. Then all of a sudden a deer off to my right starts to blow. I didn't even know she was there. I was concentrating on the 3 in front of me, I hadn't noticed another doe enter the plot from my right. She caught me drawing and the gig was up. They all took a few bounds back into the woods and stomped and blew for a few minutes and then took off.

Needless to say I didn't see any more deer after that.

TexasBowHunter 09-16-2008 07:35 PM

RE: I messed up tonight

Thats tough luck right there but it definately happens. When you get so many deer they are hard to get drawn on...They'll be back and you can get revenge....;)

BuckGrunt101 09-16-2008 07:40 PM

aw, sorry to hear that!!next time you hunt there teach that doe a lesson and stick her!;)

wis_bow_huntr 09-16-2008 07:53 PM

sorry to hear that, at least it wasnt a 10 pointer that busted you...[:@], ive learned over the years to gtake a slow look all the way around before drawing.

mohunter82 09-16-2008 08:01 PM

yea i did that last year. only iwas getting ready to draw on a nice big doe. only problem was i didn't notice the huge 8 the had snuck into 30 yards to my right. yea i didn't get either one and i said a few words under my breath.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-16-2008 08:16 PM

Yeah, them does are so easy......wish I was you John, haven't gotten to hunt yet but ah, two more sleeps and Matt and I will be in NC on our first sit. I'm so looking forward to it.

Good luck John. I consider mature, cagey momma does worthy adversaries. :D

Schultzy 09-16-2008 08:41 PM

It happens!! That's bow hunting for ya.;)

kickin_buck 09-16-2008 08:47 PM

Same thing happened to me last year with a pretty good buck. He was running does and I never even seen the two does standing right behind me. It happens, all we can do is try to learn from our mistakes and do our best not to repeat them.

Virginia Archer 09-16-2008 08:53 PM

Does with fawns get free passes from me....I shot a doe with a Fawn many years ago and watched that fawn come back and Curl up beside momma doe and It was one of the worse feeling I ever had come over me!! Kinda the same Feeling when you misplace a shot on a deer and you hear the deer laying there making those aweful Grunt/screaming sounds when they are suffering!! To where you have to take another shot to Finish it!

Just can't do it until they are completely big enough to fend for theirselves!

smokyghost 09-16-2008 08:54 PM

shoot her instead of momma and her babies.. youll get another chance