Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I Couldn't Take It Any More!!! >

I Couldn't Take It Any More!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I Couldn't Take It Any More!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I Couldn't Take It Any More!!!

I have been chomping at the bit to get out there and hunt, but cannot for another 14 days. Soooo, I jumped in the truck and drove behind my neighbors pole barn and parked between two other vehicles back there. I was in a position to see the area towards my last stand and started glassing the CRP and timberline.

At 7:10 PM two does, one of which had two fawns still sporting spots came out of the timberline. They slowly made their way towards me. I watched them browse and mill about for a few minutes. Then, out came 6 more does and young'uns. I now have 10 deer out in the CRP about 120 yards out. I tried taking pictures, but the light was too low to get anything clear (I didn't have a tripod in the truck and everything came out shakey).

At 7:15, two bucks came out of the far timberline about 300 yards out. I watched as they started sparring. They would spar then browse, spar and browse. The whole time they kept getting closer. It was getting dark, so I figured before they got too close, I would lose them in the dark. A minute or so after I thought this, the full moon started rising! A couple minutes later, the bucks were 100 yards out and with the moonlight, it was easy to see them with the binoc's. One was definately a shooter 8 point and the one who seemed to be the agressor was a smaller 6 point. They kept working their way towards me. At about 60 yards out, they started really going at it. When they did, all the slickheads moved away from them and back into the woods. The 6 point was definately being handed some lessons in sparring. They stopped next to the treeline and the 6 pointer stood up and licked a branch. The 8 pointer then stood up and bit off the limb quite a bit higher than where the 6 pointer had licked. As soon as that happened, they were at it again. Back into the timber they went sparring the whole way. I lost sight of them but could hear them pawing the leaves and then the clanking of antlers. They didn't stop! They were working their way away from me again and the rustling of the leaves and clanking of the antlers grew fainter and fainter.

By 8:00 PM, I couldn't hear them anymore. I glassed all around and there wasn't a deer in sight so I started up the truck and drove back over to the house.

Oh how I wish I had a 0 lux camera or camcorder w/a parabolic microphone. I would love to have had that on tape!

I got my fix for the moment and hope I won't be a total wreck by the time October 1st gets here.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:34 PM

Default RE: I Couldn't Take It Any More!!!

I've never seen that in person. Lucky you...
Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

AWESOME!!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 PM

sounds cool as anything to see in real life
Old 09-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen it on TV before, but this is definately my first! Dang I wish I had a camera that could have captured that! Oh well, I'll ask Santa and he'll deny me again![&o]
Old 09-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

I seen 2 bucks go at it in 06, it was something.. thought id never see anything like that but right place at the right time. After they were done I blew the grunt and that was another experience.. the dominant buck came running in looking to fight, but never give me a shot.. he went chasing after the other buck..
Old 09-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Pre season or during season. Witnessing things such as this is what it is all about and keeps me going back out.

Cool story.

BTW, I feel your pain. Almost two more weeks for me as well.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 PM

Sounds like fun.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, good luck this season.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive seen bucks clinking antlers together but not really going full out. It was funny though. The two going at it were a little basket 6 that was kinda the aggressor, and his sparring partner was an OLD 300 lb monster 10 point. I just kinda laughed to myself and thought that the big buck could just about break the others neck if he wanted to. To be young and stupid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.