HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Draw weight on compound bow - what is the word? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/263416-draw-weight-compound-bow-what-word.html)

Stonewall308 09-16-2008 10:02 AM

Draw weight on compound bow - what is the word?

Like I said in another thread, I picked up a bow in highschool and did mainly bow fishing. I am really not bow savy at all, but I am going to get back into it.

What is the word on draw weight? What is the point where it is overkill? If 65 pounds will go clean through a deer every time, is there any point in going beyond that?

I could see how it would be affected by different variables. Obviously the faster the arrow gets there the less time the deer has to react to the sound, and the less the arrow will be dropping. But it also seems that you may be able to put too much force on an arrow, making it less accurate.

MGH_PA 09-16-2008 10:09 AM

RE: Draw weight on compound bow - what is the word?

It all comes down to personal preference and comfort. For me, I like to be able to hold the bow straight out, and draw back without lifting the bow. To me, that's a comfortable weight that I can be assured of being able to draw back with cold stiff muscles after a long sit on stand as well as allowing me to hold at full draw for a considerable amount of time if a situation presents itself in the field.

You can kill a deer just as dead with a 40lb setup as you can with an 80lb. Obviously there are downsides/upsides to lower DW and higher DW, but really, it comes down to personal preference and comfort.

Mallardkiller 09-16-2008 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

It all comes down to personal preference and comfort. For me, I like to be able to hold the bow straight out, and draw back without lifting the bow. To me, that's a comfortable weight that I can be assured of being able to draw back with cold stiff muscles after a long sit on stand as well as allowing me to hold at full draw for a considerable amount of time if a situation presents itself in the field.

You can kill a deer just as dead with a 40lb setup as you can with and 80lb. Obviously there are downsides/upsides to lower DW and higher DW, but really, it comes down to personal preference and comfort.
couldnt of said it better if i could post

Paul L Mohr 09-16-2008 02:07 PM

With the current line of bows there really is no need for more than 60 lbs on a hunting bow. More draw weight will get you more speed though if that is what you are looking at. But a 350-400 grn arrow out of most modern bows at 60 lbs even with a 26 inch draw length will give enough force to blow through a deer if hit correctly.

Paul

Bowtech 360 09-16-2008 02:50 PM

I just want to just throw this out there, there is no way to beat a deers hearing ability with an arrow, secondly a tuned bow with 55# is better than a bad tuned bow at 70#

Retaks 09-16-2008 03:42 PM

I keep mine set at 60#. I know i can hold them for a whyle and still shoot accurately. I tryed some at 70# and could pull it no problem and shoot accurately at firstwith it, i couldnt hold it for a few mins then shoot accurately.

Chuck7 09-16-2008 03:56 PM

I think most guys shoot their bows between 55 and 65..There are exceptions but not long ago there was a similiar thread and it seemed most shot between these 2 numbers...mine is close to 60..but I have very little let off.

racewayking 09-16-2008 04:28 PM

To me it comes down to what is comfortable and can easily be pulled. I shoot heavier than most people because I have no problem with the draw weight and get the benefit of shooting a 400 plus gr. arrow over 300fps with 87-88# of KE. Could I shoot a 60# bow with a 400gr. arrow? Sure, but I would also have less speed and flat trajectory loss. Considering some of the stands I hunt, the flatter the shot the better.