HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Range Finder or Binoculars ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/263412-range-finder-binoculars.html)

ffmike 09-16-2008 09:17 AM

Range Finder or Binoculars ?

I'm trying to decide on what to buy, a range-finder or a quality set of binocs. I have never had a range-finder nor a quality set of binocs.I was hoping someone out there could help me decided through personal experience with both.

Thanks in advance

GMMAT 09-16-2008 09:33 AM

RE: Range Finder or Binoculars ?

If I hunted out of lock ons.....I'd sayt the binos were the better option. You can always range your lock on sets by stepping off yardages. If you hunt climbers, predominantly, you should think about a range finder. Things look a lot differently when you're 20' up....and you don't want to be stepping off yardages at each set.

Good luck.

nchawkeye 09-16-2008 09:36 AM

Not knowing where you live or how far you plan to shoot, I'd suggest getting the binoculars first...
They will help you see and evaluate deer before they get close enough for a shot and can also help you see deer that don't come in so you can reposition your stand next time...I use the Nikon 8x42
Monarchs...I think they run around $300 or so...

I never had a problem not having a range finder because I practice judging distances and then pace it off to see how far an object is...On stands that I frequently hunt, I mark trees with a slash, one slash is 10 yards, two is 20, etc...This gives you a point of reference once you climb into your stand...

I did buy a Nikon range finder about 3 years ago and have enjoyed using it, but I bowhunted for 40 years or so without one...

You'll probably end up with both sooner or later...:D

ffmike 09-16-2008 09:54 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. I was kinda thinking alongthoughs same lines. The binocs I would buy will probably be the Nikon Monarchs or the Cabelas XT's.

Thanks

Whitehorn 09-16-2008 10:01 AM

Not sure what your price range is but both Zeiss and Leica have binos with both..

BOWHUNTER818 09-16-2008 10:02 AM

Leica makes an ULTRAVID that has both rangefinder and Bino but will run about 1200 bucks to expensive for my blood and some others but my buddy has some and they are really nice....

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS:D

BH818

WCWade 09-16-2008 10:02 AM

If the rangefinder is for bowhunting you might think about getting an ArcherRange Rangefinder. At less than Fifty bucks, you could get an accurate rangefinder and a good pair of binos. Go to www.ArcherRange.com
If you have any questions about it, shoot me an email or pm.

robbcayman 09-16-2008 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: ffmike

Thanks for the quick replies. I was kinda thinking alongthoughs same lines. The binocs I would buy will probably be the Nikon Monarchs or the Cabelas XT's.

Thanks
I bought theNikonMonarchs 10 x 42 a few weeks backand I couldn't be happier. :)

MGH_PA 09-16-2008 10:38 AM

The Monarchs are great. I use the 10x36s. Great optical quality, and pretty affordable.

oakcreek 09-16-2008 12:44 PM

Here is something that you can do with you binocs pace off 10 yards from a fixed object then focus your binos to it. Use your center pivot as a guide put a white mark on the focus dial so you know the first mark 10 yards second 20 and so on and there you have gota duel purpose rangefinder binocs