Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I wanna put the hit on a yote.... >

I wanna put the hit on a yote....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I wanna put the hit on a yote....

Old 09-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I wanna put the hit on a yote....

I was just outside, I have floodlights that shine up into the field behind my grandparents house(where Im staying) and There's a possum on the porch eating the cat food.... so what do I do? Grab my bow.

He shoots off under the porch and i look up into the field and I see something up in the brushy fenceline... I figured a bedded fawn, as they were there last night.

Upon looking closer... (were talking uphill about 70yrds in the dark with a porch floodlight) Its moving.. but not scared.... I run through the house, grab my solor-powered night vision binos' and he's already moved too far for me to get a confirmed look.... But didnt "run" just moved...? But what i did see of him was pointed ears and just the overall look of a yote. I pretty much know the dogs that run around here and Ive never seen one like him and he deffinately kept his distance.

Soassume this was a yote. and You wanna put the hit on it. How would you do it. I have pics of a yote behind my house about 5 miles up the road also, so the tactics given will be used in both places. I dont even know if it's legal to bait yotes... ?? What would you guys do. And I do have neighbors "around" so I really dont wanna use anything that squals like a hungry 2 year old. Oh and I'd probably shoot him with my .17, but if it keeps my post here, You can pretend I said bow....
Old 09-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I wanna put the hit on a yote....

If you are sure that you can hit him with your bow,well use the cat as bait or a stuffed kitty.Sooner or later that yote is going to get gramma'skitty...
Old 09-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I wanna put the hit on a yote....

If they're legal, get you one of those electronic predator calls. Get set up and do some squawking. I will tell you, they're really tough to get drawn on. Those buggers have eyes in the back of their head. I've tried to draw on 4 in my years of bowhunting. To date I've only gotten one arrow off and connected. It's tough, of course mine were all in daylight hours. I've nailed a couple with a gun and blasted another with a load of 6s when I called him into a turkey set up. Never found that one as he was in Blur when I got the shot. Initially he had sneaked into about 5 yards behind me. I was calling for a friend and wasn't ready to shoot. It's not a comforting thing to find out a coyote has sneaked up behind you like that. LOL I've got a pack running the swamp behind the house and another pack across the road from the house. Some nights I sit on the back porch and it's like stero when the two packs get howling at a train or something. As soon as we get some snow on the ground I'm going to do some calling this winter but will be packing a shotgun and a 243. My brother and his gang run them with dogs. Last year they shot 111. I'll try and get a picture of them with all the hides at the end of the year. He doesn't email pictures or anything so I'll have to get a copy and scan it from him.