Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Playing the wind..a different view >

Playing the wind..a different view

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Playing the wind..a different view

Old 09-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Playing the wind..a different view

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

In all fairness, Greg.....I was 20'+ when this occurred....and the wind shifted ABRUPTLY in his favor. There's a solid chance he never got my wind.....as he was likely so close it blew right over him.

Timing, in lieu of "tactic", probably saved my day.
I have stands that depend on the wind blowing over the deer. Whatever works!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

It all depends on where your at. I hunt two types of places, a large farm backing up to a mtn and the surburban and city sprawl. The city deer dont mind the smell that much, in fact i hunt a stand where this old guy walks down to the corner of the woods every morning and releaves him self, i just look away, but the deer have him timed, they know when he is coming and wait for it. But the surburban deer also know when there is odor thats not supposed to be there. You want to talk about small lots some of the places i hunt are only 2 acres in the city but will produce monsters, sometimes you have to forget the wind, and just hunt. The farm deer, they move according to the wind, there fore you must adjust accordingly. The city deer move how ever there appetites feel, or if some walker, jogger, or dog and beeping horn tell them they should go- reguardless of the wind.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saying something like "Bucks will travel a circuit every 3 days" is like saying "Everyone in the world loves Grape Jelly". Not true at all. I'm not sure, but I would guess this guy doesn't hunt very many mature deer saying things like they don't pay attention.

The only time I disreguard wind in "some way" is during the peak of the rut. I'll hunt pinch points with trails coming from all directions because you never know where a big buck may be coming from. On these days, I'll hunt a stand with a not-perfect wind.

Also, the only time I will throw everything out the window is if a hot doe is known to be in an area. That's when you set-up camp and wait for her to bring a big-boy past!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Todd:

Though I trust your judgement.....I'm hearing more and more about bucks and "cycles". While I agree that a "3 day" rotation is a bit naive.....I DO believe that they like to mix it up. Maybe each buck has his own "cycle" he's accustomed to .....and I'm guessing the guys who can figure those out are a step (or a BUNCH of steps) ahead of the game. Kudos if you're one of them.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

Saying something like "Bucks will travel a circuit every 3 days" is like saying "Everyone in the world loves Grape Jelly". Not true at all. I'm not sure, but I would guess this guy doesn't hunt very many mature deer saying things like they don't pay attention.

The only time I disreguard wind in "some way" is during the peak of the rut. I'll hunt pinch points with trails coming from all directions because you never know where a big buck may be coming from. On these days, I'll hunt a stand with a not-perfect wind.

Also, the only time I will throw everything out the window is if a hot doe is known to be in an area. That's when you set-up camp and wait for her to bring a big-boy past!
Andrae D'Acquisto talked about how bucks will often visit each of their scrapes every three days or so on his tv show recently. I don't think anyone is saying that ALL deer follow any particular pattern but I have heard this "three day" theory from a number of people that would knowwhat they are talking about.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Spike

My cousin, who's land I hunt on, has told me aboutthe 3 day cycle. I can't prove it wrong or right since I only hunt his land and haven't talked to the other hunters on neighboring land. There could be some truth to it tho since I will see a certain buck in that 3 days.

This probably doesn't apply for everybody's area and during the rut I don't think itwould apply at all.

I have had deer just wonder off after scenting me and somehave snorted. There are farm houses 300 yards and less away from the timber so the deer have the presence of human scent around close by.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:17 PM

All I can comment on is my experience. My experience in urban settings is that each and every time, the deer most definitely DID pay attention if they winded me. It took very little time for me to figure out that no matter how close quarters I was hunting in, I better pay attn to the wind. This included hunts that took place with apartments 40 yards in one direction (complete with folks on their decks smoking, talking on the phone, etc.) and houses 45 yards in the opposite direction. I can't explain it, but the fact is that I watched deer pay no attention to homeowners in their yards but turn inside out if they crossed my scent path (air borne or ground surface). I am also a firm believer that suburban deer can pick up the difference in attitude/demeanor of hunters as compared to homeowners. This is why the same deer that stand around and watch my landowners try to run them off will book as soon as I attempt to get close for a shot.

The farm that I hunt the most often has the farmer checking his fence once a day every day, pretty much takes him around the entire farm. Let's just say those deer may know him, but they don't know me.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Bartender

They have to tolerate some kind human scent we are everywhere.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

All I can comment on is my experience. My experience in urban settings is that each and every time, the deer most definitely DID pay attention if they winded me. It took very little time for me to figure out that no matter how close quarters I was hunting in, I better pay attn to the wind. This included hunts that took place with apartments 40 yards in one direction (complete with folks on their decks smoking, talking on the phone, etc.) and houses 45 yards in the opposite direction. I can't explain it, but the fact is that I watched deer pay no attention to homeowners in their yards but turn inside out if they crossed my scent path (air borne or ground surface). I am also a firm believer that suburban deer can pick up the difference in attitude/demeanor of hunters as compared to homeowners. This is why the same deer that stand around and watch my landowners try to run them off will book as soon as I attempt to get close for a shot.

The farm that I hunt the most often has the farmer checking his fence once a day every day, pretty much takes him around the entire farm. Let's just say those deer may know him, but they don't know me.
Bingo!! My take on It as well.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

It only makes since that a urban deer will tolerate more human ordor than say a big woods deer. I can't get away with forgetting about the wind where I hunt. I wish I could. It would certainly make hunting alot easier. All of us have had deer come down wind of us and never bust us. It happens every year. The wind is probably just taking our sent upwards. I have been set up on bedded bucks just waiting them out and had the wind shift. Stood up turned 180 and slowly walked away. It always seems the mature buck will bring no attention to himself if at all possible where a young one will blow and run like hell.
Bucks deff. run in cycles. Here it is much more than 3 days though. I hunt 300 acres but there are thousands of prime hunting acres surrounding it. Harvesting, mast dropping, hunting pressure,andof course does allplay a role in cycles.

Quick Reply: Playing the wind..a different view

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.