HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Problem with Bear!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/263244-problem-bear.html)

wis_hunter08 09-15-2008 09:11 AM

Problem with Bear!!!

Hi, I have a problem with a bear hitting my bait pile. (for deer) It is opening weekend here in Wisconsin and he came in on the second evening, laid down on the bait and started munching. I dont mind him being there but I have two questions.
1. Will the deer still come in if he is eating there too?
2. If not how do I stop him from coming around?

I hope I do not have to move the stand because it is a good spot I have hunted there for 2 years now and have seen plenty of deer.

Thanks

AF Hunter 09-15-2008 09:18 AM

RE: Problem with Bear!!!

How do you stop him from coming out? Quit putting bait out.
Will the deer stop coming around? This late in the summer when the bear are trying to fatten up before hibernation, would you want to possibly be his next meal? I think the answer to that one is YES.

Sliverflicker 09-15-2008 10:52 AM

Find someone with a tag and have them take him out. RuttNutt is looking for someone in area D to take one out for him today .

Schultzy 09-15-2008 11:01 AM

1. Will the deer still come in if he is eating there too? Most likely no!
2. If not how do I stop him from coming around? He won't quit coming unless maybe you scare him away yourself.

MN/Kyle 09-15-2008 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: wis_hunter08

Hi, I have a problem with a bear hitting my bait pile. (for deer) It is opening weekend here in Wisconsin and he came in on the second evening, laid down on the bait and started munching. I dont mind him being there but I have two questions.
1. Will the deer still come in if he is eating there too?
2. If not how do I stop him from coming around?

I hope I do not have to move the stand because it is a good spot I have hunted there for 2 years now and have seen plenty of deer.

Thanks
Wish I had a problem with bears[&:]

1. They will still come around, I've seen it first hand. I actually saw a bachelor group of three bucks, last weekend. Walked about twenty yards from my stand. I'm not sure if they'll eat your bait. But at least where I live, they come around. They were not scared, or jumpy in the least.

2. You won't stop him from coming around, as long as the bait is there. Unless you scare him away.

RuttNutt 09-15-2008 12:43 PM

I had one on my bait yesterday also. I tried to scare him away but that didnt work. He exited the field and five minutes later was five yds behind my stand starring at me[:-]. I yelled at him to try and scare him, but he just stompped his front feet and looked at me and turned around. He stompped one more time, then walked off. Five minutes later, he was back to eating corn and apples!!!! He finally spooked a bit when I shook the tree next to me a made a load of racket.....Anyone around northern wisconsin with a bear tag to fill is more than welcome to come lay the smack down on him......

wis_bow_huntr 09-15-2008 12:56 PM

hell ive been having bear visit my bait sites frequently cleanign up the apples and what not, tearing apart my cornfields, the deer still come around. I wouldnt worry too much about it, more of a nuesance than a problem, wont be long theyll be moving on, stop baiting for a while, hell leave.

YooperMike 09-15-2008 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

hell ive been having bear visit my bait sites frequently cleanign up the apples and what not, tearing apart my cornfields, the deer still come around. I wouldnt worry too much about it, more of a nuesance than a problem, wont be long theyll be moving on, stop baiting for a while, hell leave.
Stopping the food is about your only option this time of year. They are still going to be out for another month or so. I would quit feeding for a while, and hope he finds somewhere new. If you move your spot, the bear is going to follow, or another bear will find it. Their home ranges are big, and they will find that corn fast, or whatever it is you are baiting with. My bro didn't see a deer until Oct. 22 last year because of our bear problem. Scaring them away is a myth too, birdshot in the ass only worked for about 45 mins even. They are stubborn critters.