HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   got the one i was after opening day! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/263184-got-one-i-after-opening-day.html)

TommyGunn 09-14-2008 08:30 PM

got the one i was after opening day!

well opening day was good for me.. i got him yesturday and i still cant believe i got him. getting him with a bow makes it even that much better.

ive been seeing this buck since july riding around the fieldsin the afternoonslooking for deer. when i seen them the first time i put a camera out for a week and checked it, had 650 pictures and seen he was coming in every day. i then got all the pictures and looked at my time stamps and figured out that it would not be a good idea to try to hunt the spot in the morning since they were staying in all night in the area. in the pics they were coming in the area at around 430pm. so i got in there yesturday about at about 3 and got set up. it was SOO hot..i was sweatin like crazy then at about 5pm i had a few does come out then i could see a rack in the thick stuff not coming my way. well about 5min later i heard a deer blow behind me then there had to be at least 10 deer scater and all run like crazy. there was deer running from places i didn't even know there was deer. i begin to get my doubts after that that i may have spooked him if he was in the area. it was still hot, sweat was dripin off me, masquitos were drivin me crazy but i stuck in there anyway just in case. well at about 6pm i had 3 smaller bucks come out but still not the one i was after so i sat still hoping he would be next. then a stupid cat came running up and scared those deer off. i was REAlly getting frustrated and thinking that it just wasnt gonna be my day. then at about 715 i hear something coming, i look around and there he is! i start getting buck fever right then and i go to stand up while he goes behind a tree and stupid me had my cell phone in my lap and it fell down and hit the foot piece of the stand.. the buck took off and ran about 30yd then stoped, looked around.. by now im really feeling stupid but he turns around and comes back my way. he comes about 20yds from me, i made a noise to make him stop. took a deep breath to try to make sure i had my posture right like i had been practicing all summer, made sure i bent at the waist. then let the arrow fly. i hit hit high right under the spine and knocked him down right in his tracks. i then seen i had hit high so i took one more shot right in the heart to try to stop him from suffering (or getting back up). i just could not believe after all that i still seen him.

this is the biggest buck ive ever killed, and by far my best bow kill. im going to take him to the taxidermist this week to have mounted.

even though i was misreable being hot and dealing with all the bugs, i kept telling myself "i wont get him sitting at home" and it paid off :)

im still soexcited right now ijust wanna show everybody. lol. i just cant believe i got him like i hadbeen planning all summer.. now i gotta go scout tomarrow and see if i can get on another one

oakcreek 09-14-2008 08:32 PM

RE: got the one i was after opening day!

Those are some cool looking brows great buck

Huntinman23 09-14-2008 08:34 PM

Great deer man congrats
[align=left] [/align]

BigDaddy12t 09-14-2008 08:35 PM

Thats a nice buck, and great story.

buckmaster 09-14-2008 08:35 PM

Congrats man.

All you NC guys are tearing it up soon!

Rory/MO 09-14-2008 08:35 PM

Wow! Nice buck! Congrats bro!

MikeyL24 09-14-2008 08:36 PM

Nice buck....and cool story. Congratulations.

Sportsfann 09-14-2008 08:36 PM

Congrats awesomelooking BUCK.

whitetailbowhunter 09-14-2008 08:36 PM

Nice buck.

Greg / MO 09-14-2008 08:37 PM

Tommy,

Awesome deer... and kudos to you for forming a plan and making it happen!! He's a beauty, for sure!

How'd those Rages work out for you? Good entrance holes?