HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Scraping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/263176-scraping.html)

passthru79 09-14-2008 07:35 PM

Scraping

It always amazes me how early bucks really do start scraping. I checked my trail cameras today and had sever bucks out of velvet and looks to be one starting a scrap. Ive had this in years past and from the best of my knowledge it is a community scrape. Bucks start this right after velvet comes off to find out who all is in the area and who is top dog. Here is a picture of a decent buck working the licking branch.

Sportsfann 09-14-2008 07:39 PM

RE: Scraping

Ya I agree, we had a scrape next to a corn pile last thursday. Bucks are just horney I guess.

passthru79 09-14-2008 07:42 PM

Here is another picture, and you can tell who is top dog here. Talk about posturing. Looks like a couple of scrawny teenagers are hanging out with big papa pump. Ha Ha.

JoeRE 09-14-2008 07:48 PM

That is a neat picture. I have seen a surprising number of scrapes and rubs so far this year as well. Hopefully, the trend continues.

Steven McBee 09-14-2008 07:49 PM

cool pic!

sandilands 09-14-2008 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: passthru79

Here is another picture, and you can tell who is top dog here. Talk about posturing. Looks like a couple of scrawny teenagers are hanging out with big papa pump. Ha Ha.

Posturing ya, scraping ya. But this pic tells more than we think. The buck on the far right has his head slightly down. His chest is much deeper than the others. Looks like he might have some competition this yr. One buck walking in the backmilling about. Things are just getting started guys. This group is still together so it says less than you think.
I heard bucks sparring the other night behind my stand....... too far away to see but I figure they were small. Sound was too high pitch. Like I said its just the beginning.
These 2 guys have more to talk about B4 the rut.;)

passthru79 09-14-2008 08:30 PM

I garantee the buck on the right is gonna have some competition this year, most likely not from the other two in the picture. He is deffinetly an older more mature deer and a much larger bodied deer than the two others. The picture tells me that all the bucks know their place in the pecking order within that small group. There are much larger deer in the area and come the rut this guy is gonna have his work cut out for him if he wants to be in charge.

passthru79 09-14-2008 08:43 PM

Im gonna post two more pictures here. These two I believe show I little bit of dominance, I really wish I had video instead of still pictures for this. The first buck looks like it came in to work the scrap but moments later a bigger buck is running in and it kinda looks like he ran the smaller one off. The first buck is the same one from above working the licking branch in the first picture and standing off with the bigger on in the second picture. The buck that chased him off is a different deer not in any of the above pictures.

passthru79 09-14-2008 08:45 PM

Here is the othe buck.

Sliverflicker 09-14-2008 08:50 PM

Nice pics!