Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Throw out deer management >

Throw out deer management

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Throw out deer management

Old 09-14-2008, 03:56 PM

Default Throw out deer management

Do you throw out deer manage ment on the last day of the season when you havent shot anything that sesason?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Throw out deer management

No. I don't see why you would shoot something on the last day, that you wouldn't shoot on the first.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, there's not much purpose of spending all season being selective and then ruin it all on the last day. It will waste a years worth of patience as the following year you'll be back to stage one when it comes to buck size and healthiness of the deer herd
Old 09-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, DM is a year long project, not just the last day of the season.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never had a season where I hadn't killed a deer by the last day...
Old 09-14-2008, 05:28 PM

I would rather eat my tag or use it on a doe then to shoot a buck that I would have passed earlier in the season. The neighbor next to the land I hunt won't even hunt the late archery season. He figures if the bucks made it through early archery and then the gun season then they deserve a free pass to the next year(if they stay on his land).
Old 09-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Dominant Buck

YUP, and the first, second, third etc etc etc. My year long project is to hear TWACK, see blood on the ground and smell onions and backstraps frying. Oh I have some no no's, but first and foremost I hunt to kill a deer once in a while. If I were to get to the last day of the season I really don't think whacking that basket rack 8 point is going to destroy harmony in the wild. If you don't have a large enough piece of property or you're hunting public land with no restrictions you're peeing in the wind if you think you as one will make a difference. I'll eat venison before I say "herd management" or "Management buck" or for that matter "Harvest". I have yet to harvest a deer. I've killed the hell out of a lot of them though. If I'm hunting someone elses land and they have rules or request in force I'll abide by them and all game laws.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:39 PM

"Don't pass up on the first day what you would shoot the last," Thatis my modo. Do that and you'll never be unhappy.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:44 PM

That doesnt make sence at a certain point. Say there is 2 deer that 1 is bigger by about 5 inches. You pass the smaller 1 on the first day in hopes of seeing the bigger 1 throughout the season. then on the last day you wouldnt shoot the smaller 1? If its brown its down, Im goinghunt for fun not horns.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

That doesnt make sence at a certain point. Say there is 2 deer that 1 is bigger by about 5 inches. You pass the smaller 1 on the first day in hopes of seeing the bigger 1 throughout the season. then on the last day you wouldnt shoot the smaller 1? If its brown its down, Im goinghunt for fun not horns.
When inches controls what I shoot, I'll hang the camo and bow up

Quick Reply: Throw out deer management

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.