Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Settle a bet

Old 09-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Settle a bet

1.5 years old that goes 90 - 92. Got to remember he is still in velvet. He will score under 90 once the velvet is gone. No way he is 2.5 unless you live out in the east coast which I don't think you do. Helps to throw in what state your from to give us a better idea since region does play a big part on the size of deer both in body and rack.

Tim
I'm with Tim.

That's a 1.5 yr old whitetail. His illusion is in his angle.. where he seems to have a larger chest than behind.. but thats just angle.

His elongated head.. neck considerably smaller than his chest cavity.. are all signs of a 1.5 yr. old.

A 2.5 yr. old will have a much shorter nose.. deeper neck going into the belly.

I got your back Tim.. and easy Illinois 1.5 yr. old. Not a doubt.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

The major disagreement was over the age. I knew his score was way off. Seeing as most everyone on here says 2.5, I guess I owe him a case busch light. I just hope he lets me drink it with him.
Lmao!! I don't mind losing If I can help drink the beer, Its not so bad then! My opinion on It Is that Its a 2.5 year old, too much bone growth to me for a 1.5 year old deer any where In the USA. The only thing that would make me think he's a 1.5 year old is his very long looking legs meaning he has no body mass at all. Score wise I think he's a 95" to 100" buck. Great buck either way regardless If he's a 1.5 or 2.5.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:00 PM

I don't pretend to know this game well, but I do know you need to fix your camera settings. It's day time and it looks like a spot light is being shinned on the buck. Could be my buddy's screen, but I doubt it.

I'd say 2.5 due to thickness of rib cage and head, but like I said... I don't claim to know what I'm talking about.

BuschLight... at least you didn't lose to an expensive beer.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

The major disagreement was over the age. I knew his score was way off. Seeing as most everyone on here says 2.5, I guess I owe him a case busch light. I just hope he lets me drink it with him.

In my eye's you have to split the cost. He was right sayin 2.5yrs old...... but wrong sayin 120". You were wrong saying 1.5...(what were you thinkin)..... but right when you said 85-95.

Personally I for one would love to hunt land where a 1.5 yr old would be that big.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm. That deer looks like a nice 1.5 year old to me. [:-]

It'son the small sideif it's 2.5. He'd be lucky to get into the 90's.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DoePeeSteve

I don't pretend to know this game well, but I do know you need to fix your camera settings. It's day time and it looks like a spot light is being shinned on the buck. Could be my buddy's screen, but I doubt it.

I'd say 2.5 due to thickness of rib cage and head, but like I said... I don't claim to know what I'm talking about.

First things first...Busch Light is the best beer money can buy. Second, the beer has already been paid for and nothing is left but an empty case. I still think this is a great looking 1 1/2. His legs are too long and skinny, his face and neck are too long and skinny. I don't think this deer would field dress much over 120#, all thing point to this being a great 1 1/2. This farm has super tanks all over it. We have been managing the bucks being taken off of it (240 acres) for 5 years now, the neighbors (550 acres) have been managing their ground for over 10 years. Not to mention the other farms that surrond this farm on the west are not hunted, so there are only four guys hunting over 1 square mile. These deer get to grow old and big and I think this guy is a product of our work. I guess we will see in 3-4 years.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope he stays in that sq mile[X(]
Deer around here will trvel 5 mile during the rut........ or more.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

ORIGINAL: DoePeeSteve

First things first...Busch Light is the best beer money can buy. Second, the beer has already been paid for and nothing is left but an empty case. I still think this is a great looking 1 1/2. His legs are too long and skinny, his face and neck are too long and skinny. I don't think this deer would field dress much over 120#, all thing point to this being a great 1 1/2. This farm has super tanks all over it. We have been managing the bucks being taken off of it (240 acres) for 5 years now, the neighbors (550 acres) have been managing their ground for over 10 years. Not to mention the other farms that surrond this farm on the west are not hunted, so there are only four guys hunting over 1 square mile. These deer get to grow old and big and I think this guy is a product of our work. I guess we will see in 3-4 years.
If that's the case which It could very well be then you've got yourself some great genetics!!

Hmmm. That deer looks like a nice 1.5 year old to me.

It's on the small side if it's 2.5. He'd be lucky to get into the 90's.
That's not that bad for a 2.5 If that's what he Is.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:01 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

1.5 years old that goes 90 - 92. Got to remember he is still in velvet. He will score under 90 once the velvet is gone. No way he is 2.5 unless you live out in the east coast which I don't think you do. Helps to throw in what state your from to give us a better idea since region does play a big part on the size of deer both in body and rack.

Tim
I'm with Tim.

That's a 1.5 yr old whitetail. His illusion is in his angle.. where he seems to have a larger chest than behind.. but thats just angle.

His elongated head.. neck considerably smaller than his chest cavity.. are all signs of a 1.5 yr. old.

A 2.5 yr. old will have a much shorter nose.. deeper neck going into the belly.

I got your back Tim.. and easy Illinois 1.5 yr. old. Not a doubt.

Yep good definition of a 2.5 year old...

giraffe neck 1.5 year old

Tim