Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Any bow kill is a trophy..." >

"Any bow kill is a trophy..."

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Any bow kill is a trophy..."

Old 09-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "Any bow kill is a trophy..."

ORIGINAL: BrownBow33

I disagree that any deer killed with a bow is a trophy. Anyone can kill a deer with a bow in my opinion. Ive seen some deer that look like they have no clue what is going on and would come in no matter what you did. What im saying is that someone who doesnt put any time into scouting or any thought into scent control is going to get lucky sooner or later and shoot a young(dumb) deer. However, the guys that can go out and get in close to a 5.5+ year old buck or doe can consider that a trophy. With older deer I believe a lot more weight falls on your stand location, scent control, being quiet in the stand etc. A 5.5 year old monster is much more of a trophy to me then a young deer that doesnt know any better. As far as deer killed with a rifle, shotgun and muzzleloader I think that can be pretty easy. Especially with a rifle that can reach out to 300 yards, I dont consider that to be real challenging.
If I was a betting man, I would put my money on the fact that you have only hunted your area ... and none other ....you speak without knowledge ...
Old 09-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any animal the Lord blesses me with is a trophy.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

It kills me that some of you get hung up with semantics ...... trophy, accomplishment, who cares ...... remember, only 17% on average score every year ...
Old 09-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

I've shot deer with muzzeloader, rifle, and the bow. I shot deer every year or had the opportunity to with the rifle every year since I was 12, and I'm now 24. I started hunting with the muzzeloader when I was 16 and have shot deer every year since then with that also. With the bow though I did not kill my first deer until I was 21. Now many factors contribute to that such as just not putting in the time like I should have and I just didn't understand everything I needed to, to be successful, but I did spend time in the woods and saw deer each year that continually out smarted me. Now I am definitelly a better hunter all in all now than I was 10 years ago but 10 yrs ago I could go out and kill a deer withmy rifle but not my bow, where now I do kill deer consistentley with my bow. So I guess this is why I stand bymythoughthat any deer with a bow is a trophy.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

It kills me that some of you get hung up with semantics ...... trophy, accomplishment, who cares ...... remember, only 17% on average score every year ...
Amen.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

I have mixed feelings, after REALLY thinking about it.

I believe the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. Cliche', yeah. I believe any deer harvested(by me) is a trophy, IF it is a deer that I think it is (see Caught up in the Kill)Who is anyone to tell anyone else that it is in fact a trophy because you shot it with a ________?

Just my thoughts.
i agree. to me, any buck with a pair of antler would be a trophy to me considering i have not shot a buck.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry whenI am whacking does to reduce the herd it is a lot like work.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

depends on the shooters idea behind the hunt. I don't consider every deer I have ever shot with my gun or bow to be trophy status, however the way that the deer came in or the shot I was presented can make the hunt more memorible than any other, well then I would say that it would be a special kill rather than a trophy one.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

hehe even during gun season I seem to shoot em 15-20 yards away, must be my killer bow hunting instintcs that draw them in so close all year round, but yes, to me every deer is a trophy, it doesnt matter how its harvested. But sometimes theres more thrill when its a 120-150 class buck.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Trophyis in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't consider any deerI've everkilled (whether with a bow or gun)a "trophy". That's not why i hunt. For me hunting is about participating in nature and not just being an observer. That is why i do about 95% of my deer hunting (again, regardless ofwhether it iswith a bow or gun) on the ground. My satisfaction comes from the "cat and mouse" games that inevitably arise when still hunting Whitetails. For methere is nothing like the rush of having taken a Whitetail while down on the ground sneaking around and outwitting them on their own terms. Sure, i fail a lot,but my heart is pounding just as much as when I'm successful.Because of this, i consider any Deer that doesn't have milk dripping off of it's chin fair game and a worthy target.

Quick Reply: "Any bow kill is a trophy..."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.