Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting while in the military? >

hunting while in the military?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting while in the military?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:55 PM

Default hunting while in the military?

I'm a senior in high school, and am looking at what I want to do with my life. I'm thinking about going into the Coast Guard, or maybe the Navy.
I think I would enjoy it, but I'm not sure about missing hunting for about 4 years. There is a 30 day leave, but im not sureif that would be enough for me lol. Hunting is my life. Any experiences or thoughts or anything is welcome.
thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting while in the military?

that might be tuff to do hunting while in the service . maybe someone else that has served can help you out
Old 09-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I served in the Navy for three years and hunted every time I came home on leave during my home state's hunting season. In Maryland if you have official leave papers you don't have to buy a license so I just used that as my license. Worked out great!

If you go in the military sign up for the GI Bill as soon as they offer it to you. They should shortly after boot camp.Serving in the militarywas one of the greatest experiences of my life.

College is a major expense. Get the miliitary to pay for it. It is definitely worth it. The hunting will be waiting on you when you get back, believe me.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Kinda tough to hunt when in the Navy. You will find yourself "underway" more often than not. I would suggest scoring a spot in the Air Force. You have a higher chance of being stationed at a base that has hunting opportunities nearby. There are options in Kansas, Arizona, Colorado to name a few. You can land an East Coast gig in the Marines and end up at Camp Lejeune and go hunting there as well in NC. Heck, you are in WI right? Score an Air National Guard slot down on Madison and fix F-16's. Thats what I do and you get all your school paid for. Its a pretty sweet deal!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

24/7-
I have been inthe military since 1987 and have been able to hunt/fish from Alaska to Georgia. I switched from the Army to the Coast Guard in 1999 and I have some specific recommendations about what I would or would not sign up for - send me a PM if you have questions. The USCG provides a muchmorerelaxedlifetstyle for hunting, family or whatever you like to do in your 'off' time.

Hereare a few thoughts:
-30 days of leave per year is an incredibly generous vacation plan + you get all federal holidays off
-Many posts/bases have excellent hunting opportunities
-Most states allow military to hunt as residents or even count their leave papers as licenses
-Local landowners are very generous in providing permission to militaryhunters
-College tuition assistance is 100% for active duty military
-You will eligible for retirement after only 20 years
-Your medical, dental and life insurance will be covered
Old 09-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Hey man,

My uncle is in the Coast guard he loves it. He flys the dolphin helicopter, and he gets to hunt. He switchs where he lives every 3 years. So if you could get into that you'd have no prob. He's been here on the North bend town in Or. and also lived in P Rico. and now back here. So I would go for it.

My Bro is in the marines and he has been in 2 years he hasn't been sent to War that will be next year, but he has been able to hunt the last 2 years he's been in.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Spike

24/7
I have been in the Army since 1990. Currently stationed in Hawaii. Two years left to retire. I would encourage anybody eligible to give the service a go. Didn't start hunting until I was 27. Darton Maverick was my first bow. I started hunting in Sep 99 while stationed at Ft. Knox, Ky. Was forntunate enough to take a fork horn my first year. In Dec 99 I went to Korea for a year. No hunting. Early January 01 got stationed in Ft. Riley, KS. Hunted the 01, 02 season. Killed some does. Was in Iraq from May 03-Apr 04. No hunting. Hunted the 04 season. Killed some does, saw some bucks. Oct 05-Sep 06 went to Iraq again. No hunting. Hunted the 06 season. Killed some does and a buck. Left for Hawaii in May 07. No hunting. I am scheduled to take leave 28 Oct-18 Nov to hunt the rut at dad's house in Charleston, IL. I am a resident of IL so I will only have to pay for tags no liscense.
I think that the type of hunting that you encounter while in the service is dependent upon which branch of service you join. I think that the Army has the best opportunity (duty stations) to hunt. (KY, KS, TX, WA, CO, AK, GA) I'm sure that there are AF, USCG, Navy, and Marines that have some (duty stations) that work also.Pretty much all of the locations will also more than likely get you a trip to the desert. You have to take the good with the bad. The war will not last forever. As far as how much time during the season that you get to hunt is dependent upon your job just as it is on the outside.
KWilson is one of the fortunate ones who made the transition from the Army to the USCG. In the end it's a decision that only you can make. There are a few other guys on the site who are on active duty and I'm sure they could add to.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

Retired USAF here. I always had the opportunity to hunt while serving the Air Force.One thing must be considered is the job you will be working. Just because it's a Federal holiday doesn't necessarily mean you have it off. Security Forces and aircraft maintenance workers would be an example here. You earn 2.5 days of vacation each month thus the 30 days per year number. I'm glad I served and also glad to be done too. Getting deployed is the norm nowadays so be prepared.There are many Air Force bases with great huntingopportunities.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 PM

First off, thanks for your service guys!
I'm leaning toward the coast guard since it seems least likely that I'll end up in Iraq, Which I don't want to do unless I really have to.
Also a question about the leave. Does the 30 days need to be taken at one time, or could, say2 - 15 day leave periods be taken?
thanks again
Old 09-14-2008, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

24/7. You can take leave however you want. You don't have to take all 30 days at once. Just keep in mind that as with any job, you have to schedule your leave around others working in your department.

For example, my ship pulled into San Diego for a few days and I left the night we pulled in for a cross country flight to Maryland. Partied with my friends for a couple days and flew back. A day later we were pulling into San Francisco.

Quick Reply: hunting while in the military?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.