Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OK..how many has never shot a deer yet with a bow? >

OK..how many has never shot a deer yet with a bow?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK..how many has never shot a deer yet with a bow?

Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: OK..how many has never shot a deer yet with a bow?

I must agree with what davidmill has stated when shooting your first deer. I shot at more than 1 before scoring on a nice doe and deer are hard to come by in these parts of the woods. However once I shot my first deer with a bow I have been lucky and have hardly missed another one. I feel that getting the first deer was the hardest regardless of how much practice I did. There is just something about being able to get past that first one that made a difference to me. Anyways no matter what I hope you all can get past that first deer and have a safe and great season ahead of you.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: robdre56

i have not shot a deer at all bow or rifle but have passed on many bucks one thing alot of you guys tuaght me on here was to take a mature deer and a big one at that i have seen many 1.5 y.os while in stand with in my range but have not pulled back i would love my first deer to be a monster and i have pics of a few where i hunt so ill just hold off until my time is right
You learned that here? Hmmm, were a dang peta site.lol

Live a little! Pile one up.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Spike

Personally I'm an all around hunting virgin period. I've shot plenty of 3D targets though so when the time comes I know my aim will be good. It will just be a matter of moving slowly and making sure I'm not spotted. ibbuckfever
Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

For you folks that haven't shot one yet, maybe some of you are looking at it wrong. Some of you have stated that you've learned from people on this site to only shoot big deer. Well the problem is, many of you don't live where big deer live. Oh sure, there's always the occasional one that's bigger than the average, but honestly, most of them are taken on pure luck or because someone pushed them your way or something. If you've never shot a deer with the bow you need to gear more towards killing the first one with the bow. Doe, 4 point, whatever. The first one or 4 will prove to you you can do it. In anaylizing what happened most will find they don't remember the site picture, the shot and can't begin to tell you what was going on at the time. Get a couple under your belt, then if you want to become macho hunter you can. If you hold out for MR BIG as your first deer and pass up shots at good eating, you'll probably blow your first shot.... at least 50 percent of the time. My advice.... shoot something respectable. It can be a nice doe or a little basket rack. It doesn't have to be Macho Buck. Me personnnally, I'd shy away from Bambi and little runts that just lost their spots. If you hold out for the likes of a deer that someone in the midwest sees daily or often and you live in Upstate NY or Florida, you're really cheating yourself. You've practiced and become proficient, at least we think so. Put your skills to work. Don't wait until the biggest buck of your life walks out to decide you're going to shoot. You have a long time to kill Macho Buck. I wouldn't know, but I'm sure several years of not loosing an arrow at a deer would become very boring. Consider the first nice fat doe extended and practical practice. Consider it a proficiency exam. Most of us don't have the luxury that people in Illinois, Iowa or Kansas do. The biggest buck killed in my area of NY this year would probably just be considered an OK deer or maybe even small in some circles. What I'm saying is don't get all wrapped up in waiting on the "Mature" deer some people have. You don't have them more than likely. Shoot something. No it shouldn't have spots and be sucking on a doe, but shoot a deer. 50 percent is luck. You can scout etc, but usually the deer you kill will be one you haven't seen or expected to see in your area. The one you maybe targeting can pass by a half dozen times and not offer a shot. Stuff happens. Just shoot something and enjoy. Then if you want, get picky as you want. It's suppose to be fun. Don't start comparing or measuring your deer by what someone else shoots or most will become very discouraged or ashamed. That should NOT HAPPEN. It's suppose to be fun.... IT IS NOT A CONTEST. You should not measure your success by comparing to a GregH or RD or someone in a land where there are many big deer. Measure your success on pleasure and first and foremost.... killing something respectable for your territory. I only say respectable because I personnaly find it distasteful to shoot a Bambi.
WELL said!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

One thing I'm adding to this thread that others have eluded to as distasteful. If you choose to shoot a fawn I'll be the 1st guy to congratulate you. There Is nothing wrong with shooting one. I find It distasteful that a person can look down on someone for shooting a fawn. Shoot what you want, please yourself, not everyone else!!

This Is not about what deer you should shoot thread. Its about folks who haven't shot one. Good luck to all who are trying for there 1st!!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with David. There are two ways to look at this (off the top of my head).

1. I DO find it honorable that many are "holding out" for their first to be something special to them. Kudos.

2. I found that while I was trying to do No. 1......I was ill-repared when the time came to take my 1st. I blew it, mentally. For folks who are trying to get their first deer with the bow....I'v eoften said that you could build a city in between "passing" on one and actually putting it on the ground. So many things can go wrong......the most of which will be controlling your nerves. Matt said in his sticky post above....that you will be in the midst of an unbelievable OMG situation the first time you get to full draw on a deer you are planning on taking. That is very true. If I had it to go back and do over, again....I'd have killed "a" deer, sooner.....AND I think I might have been better prepared when that deer I was really after presented me with a shot opportunity.

Mine worked out in the end. I killed that deer 2 yrs later. But I wounded him (flesh wound) the first time I encountered him with the intent to kill him. There's nothing wrong with hilding out. Nothing. But understand that there's no way to prepare yourself for killing.......short of doing it.

Good luck to all of you this year. Your stories are great.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Killed several with my rifle but not with a bow yet. Thats why I'm drawn to it I think. I really find it a challenge. I will say that I passed this weekend on an easy fawn shot then blew it on a doe. But it doesn't matter. I'm still working to get a kill.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

This will be my first year with a bow, so we'll see. I have gotten a few with a rifleover the years, nothing special though. Don't worry, I have 2 doe tags, so I'm not holding out for anything. Well, we do have an antler restrition in PA, but other then that.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

I've never shot a deer. Last year was my first year hunting. I did actually pull back on a nice buck, but he didn't give me a good shot[:@]. I didn't want to take a bad shot, so I let my draw down. I passed on quite a few deer that I could have easily taken, I just tried holding out for a while. By holding out, I came up empty handed![&o]
Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 PM

VBH-Virgin Bow Hunter

Quick Reply: OK..how many has never shot a deer yet with a bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.