Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OK..how many has never shot a deer yet with a bow? >

OK..how many has never shot a deer yet with a bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK..how many has never shot a deer yet with a bow?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: OK..how many has never shot a deer yet with a bow?

I've rifle hunted for the past 10 years.

This will be my 2nd year with a bow. I didn't get anything last year, did draw on a couple. And hopefully learned from my mistakes. Tomorrow, the season begins, and due to higher deer population, I can harvest a buck, and antlerless with my permit. I'm also looking forward to trying out some new equipment.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

For you folks that haven't shot one yet, maybe some of you are looking at it wrong. Some of you have stated that you've learned from people on this site to only shoot big deer. Well the problem is, many of you don't live where big deer live. Oh sure, there's always the occasional one that's bigger than the average, but honestly, most of them are taken on pure luck or because someone pushed them your way or something. If you've never shot a deer with the bow you need to gear more towards killing the first one with the bow. Doe, 4 point, whatever. The first one or 4 will prove to you you can do it. In anaylizing what happened most will find they don't remember the site picture, the shot and can't begin to tell you what was going on at the time. Get a couple under your belt, then if you want to become macho hunter you can. If you hold out for MR BIG as your first deer and pass up shots at good eating, you'll probably blow your first shot.... at least 50 percent of the time. My advice.... shoot something respectable. It can be a nice doe or a little basket rack. It doesn't have to be Macho Buck. Me personnnally, I'd shy away from Bambi and little runts that just lost their spots. If you hold out for the likes of a deer that someone in the midwest sees daily or often and you live in Upstate NY or Florida, you're really cheating yourself. You've practiced and become proficient, at least we think so. Put your skills to work. Don't wait until the biggest buck of your life walks out to decide you're going to shoot. You have a long time to kill Macho Buck. I wouldn't know, but I'm sure several years of not loosing an arrow at a deer would become very boring. Consider the first nice fat doe extended and practical practice. Consider it a proficiency exam. Most of us don't have the luxury that people in Illinois, Iowa or Kansas do. The biggest buck killed in my area of NY this year would probably just be considered an OK deer or maybe even small in some circles. What I'm saying is don't get all wrapped up in waiting on the "Mature" deer some people have. You don't have them more than likely. Shoot something. No it shouldn't have spots and be sucking on a doe, but shoot a deer. 50 percent is luck. You can scout etc, but usually the deer you kill will be one you haven't seen or expected to see in your area. The one you maybe targeting can pass by a half dozen times and not offer a shot. Stuff happens. Just shoot something and enjoy. Then if you want, get picky as you want. It's suppose to be fun. Don't start comparing or measuring your deer by what someone else shoots or most will become very discouraged or ashamed. That should NOT HAPPEN. It's suppose to be fun.... IT IS NOT A CONTEST. You should not measure your success by comparing to a GregH or RD or someone in a land where there are many big deer. Measure your success on pleasure and first and foremost.... killing something respectable for your territory. I only say respectable because I personnaly find it distasteful to shoot a Bambi.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

For you folks that haven't shot one yet, maybe some of you are looking at it wrong. Some of you have stated that you've learned from people on this site to only shoot big deer. Well the problem is, many of you don't live where big deer live. Oh sure, there's always the occasional one that's bigger than the average, but honestly, most of them are taken on pure luck or because someone pushed them your way or something. If you've never shot a deer with the bow you need to gear more towards killing the first one with the bow. Doe, 4 point, whatever. The first one or 4 will prove to you you can do it. In anaylizing what happened most will find they don't remember the site picture, the shot and can't begin to tell you what was going on at the time. Get a couple under your belt, then if you want to become macho hunter you can. If you hold out for MR BIG as your first deer and pass up shots at good eating, you'll probably blow your first shot.... at least 50 percent of the time. My advice.... shoot something respectable. It can be a nice doe or a little basket rack. It doesn't have to be Macho Buck. Me personnnally, I'd shy away from Bambi and little runts that just lost their spots. If you hold out for the likes of a deer that someone in the midwest sees daily or often and you live in Upstate NY or Florida, you're really cheating yourself. You've practiced and become proficient, at least we think so. Put your skills to work. Don't wait until the biggest buck of your life walks out to decide you're going to shoot. You have a long time to kill Macho Buck. I wouldn't know, but I'm sure several years of not loosing an arrow at a deer would become very boring. Consider the first nice fat doe extended and practical practice. Consider it a proficiency exam. Most of us don't have the luxury that people in Illinois, Iowa or Kansas do. The biggest buck killed in my area of NY this year would probably just be considered an OK deer or maybe even small in some circles. What I'm saying is don't get all wrapped up in waiting on the "Mature" deer some people have. You don't have them more than likely. Shoot something. No it shouldn't have spots and be sucking on a doe, but shoot a deer. 50 percent is luck. You can scout etc, but usually the deer you kill will be one you haven't seen or expected to see in your area. The one you maybe targeting can pass by a half dozen times and not offer a shot. Stuff happens. Just shoot something and enjoy. Then if you want, get picky as you want. It's suppose to be fun. Don't start comparing or measuring your deer by what someone else shoots or most will become very discouraged or ashamed. That should NOT HAPPEN. It's suppose to be fun.... IT IS NOT A CONTEST. You should not measure your success by comparing to a GregH or RD or someone in a land where there are many big deer. Measure your success on pleasure and first and foremost.... killing something respectable for your territory. I only say respectable because I personnaly find it distasteful to shoot a Bambi.
I was thinking the same thing. You're 100% correct.
Guys if you haven't killed one yet with a bow it won't help if you wait for a monster to walk by, because you'll probbaly miss. Start with a Doe or whatever comes by, because if you can't shoot one of them you're probably going to miss the big boy. Don't be selective this early in your bow hunting career. All the practice in the world won't matter non when your facing the real thing.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I only say respectable because I personnaly find it distasteful to shoot a Bambi.
Davidmil

Me too davidmil..and I did see adoe and a fawn near my stand last year,,I respectfully just watched..A year before I talked to another hunter who had called in a doe and a fawn on a Lil Can and he told me he passed on them..I got the idea from him...
Old 09-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

I shot my first with a bow last year (6 point), but even worse than not having shot one, I was not able to recover it. I found the arrow, looked like it went in deep, broken in half, but no blood trail or sign of the deer. After that incident, I bought a book on tracking wounded deer and started studying. Hopefully will get another chance this year and recover the animal.

-Rick C.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:22 PM

I look at it different than most. I have absolutely NO interest in shooting a 4 point. Just doesnt appeal to me. Until this year, I have had no interest in taking does, last years jerky making cured that up though. So that left me with waiting for a respectable buck the last few years. Close calls, but still no cigar. Even came to full draw a few times without letting loose an arrow.

Why does everyone seem to have the mindset that if you havent killed a deer with a bow yet, you should shoot anything that walks by. I did that for my first with a rifle years back, sure I was proud, but I built off of those experiences. I shot a respectable 8 point in 2004 with the rifle, and have gun hunted probably 20 days total since.

This year is a change of pace for me though. I have already taken a nice pronghorn buck with my bow, am looking to take 1 or 2 does for jerky meat, and am still waiting for the right buck to happen by. My first whitetail with a bow will likely be a doe, but my first buck with a bow will be a nice one in my eyes. Could I not experience the same thrill of killing a spiker or 4 point through taking a doe?

Im not trying to look down on people who take a spiker for their first or 40th bowkill, to eachhis own...but its not for me. my first buck with a bow WILL be a respectable one in my eyes. Ive already been there, done that with the rifle as far as getting a first down...no need to repeat the process imo.

This is all how I feel for my personal hunting, Ill congratulate anyone over even a spotted button buck kill. What someone else kills doesnt effect me in the least, unless you are my neighbors.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

come ON Guys this is your year!!! remeber the more time you spend out the better your odds.
this site is a wonderful resource. oh, and for your first deer, Buy some antlerless tags!! its great for managment and it really helps to have a few under your belt so your not shaking too bad when that monster strolls along!!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I look at it different than most. I have absolutely NO interest in shooting a 4 point. Just doesnt appeal to me. Until this year, I have had no interest in taking does, last years jerky making cured that up though. So that left me with waiting for a respectable buck the last few years. Close calls, but still no cigar. Even came to full draw a few times without letting loose an arrow.

Why does everyone seem to have the mindset that if you havent killed a deer with a bow yet, you should shoot anything that walks by. I did that for my first with a rifle years back, sure I was proud, but I built off of those experiences. I shot a respectable 8 point in 2004 with the rifle, and have gun hunted probably 20 days total since.

This year is a change of pace for me though. I have already taken a nice pronghorn buck with my bow, am looking to take 1 or 2 does for jerky meat, and am still waiting for the right buck to happen by. My first whitetail with a bow will likely be a doe, but my first buck with a bow will be a nice one in my eyes. Could I not experience the same thrill of killing a spiker or 4 point through taking a doe?

Im not trying to look down on people who take a spiker for their first or 40th bowkill, to eachhis own...but its not for me. my first buck with a bow WILL be a respectable one in my eyes. Ive already been there, done that with the rifle as far as getting a first down...no need to repeat the process imo.

This is all how I feel for my personal hunting, Ill congratulate anyone over even a spotted button buck kill. What someone else kills doesnt effect me in the least, unless you are my neighbors.

That's fine, you want to do it that way... do it that way. We didn't say you had to shoot a 4 point. We didn't say you shouldn't shoot a doe. We said shoot a deer. For most that's their choice... a deer or nothing. Most don't have opportunities to shoot antelope or whatever.

Me, I can't get all wrapped up in something like saying "my first buck will be a big buck. I'll shoot a doe first and if I don't get a buck for several years so be it". Well hell, I'm hunting for a deer that's edible. I'm not looking for something nice in my eyes. If the edible shows up in the form of a nice basket rack 8 pointer he's probably going to dieand he'll be nice in my eyes. LOL
Old 09-14-2008, 09:07 PM

I havnt not shot a deer also. Hoping this year i can get lucky!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

I shot my first deer with a bow last year. It was my 5th or 6th year bowhunting and I had missed about 10 deer previous to killing that one. And I got it all on tape.

Quick Reply: OK..how many has never shot a deer yet with a bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.