Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion) >

Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

Old 09-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Hey, its just another scent REDUCING tool, available to us.

I wouldnt even think about hunting if I didnt have my scent blocker gear.

I use shower, deodorant, sprays, scent blocker, scent blcoker transport bags, scent blocker boot gaiters- you name it, I've spared no expense and I cant recall getting winded since.
I have a freind who sits in his treestand smokes cigarettes like their going out of style and drinks 2 thermos' of coffee a day. And he's never had a deer bust him. I've seen it happen i was 70 yards away last year watching him through Bino's while deer are wandering all around the base of his tree.

Ryan.
You would not find me hunting nor 70 yards from a guy hunting like that!JMO
Old 09-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Hey, its just another scent REDUCING tool, available to us.

I wouldnt even think about hunting if I didnt have my scent blocker gear.

I use shower, deodorant, sprays, scent blocker, scent blcoker transport bags, scent blocker boot gaiters- you name it, I've spared no expense and I cant recall getting winded since.
I have a freind who sits in his treestand smokes cigarettes like their going out of style and drinks 2 thermos' of coffee a day. And he's never had a deer bust him. I've seen it happen i was 70 yards away last year watching him through Bino's while deer are wandering all around the base of his tree.

Ryan.
If your friend has NEVER been busted by a deer...he either hasn't hunted much or is lying.

Everyone gets busted by deer from time to time no matter what precautions you might take.

And you are not always aware of them busting you.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Bartender

Remember the rulesfolks.
16. Brand Bashing and generally arguementative posts will not be tolerated. Legitimate posts regarding problems that you have experienced with a particular piece of equipment or service will be allowed. However, posts that are directly bashing a product or manufacturer are not allowed on HuntingNet.com. These forums and chat room are designed as a place for hunters to gather to exchange stories, advice, and meet other hunters from around the world - not to argue amongst ourselves or to talk down about any individual business or product. All posts of this nature will be removed and disciplinary action will be taken against their author.

17. Forum rules and guidelines are not up for debate. This is not a democracy, but rather a private forum. Anyone openly debating the rules we have set in place will be removed. Moderators of this forum are not to be argued with when enforcing forum rules and guidelines. Anyone arguing with a Moderator against disciplinary measures will be removed from the forum. If you have a problem with a Moderator please email [email protected] and we will address the issue as soon as possible.

We reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless, HuntingNet.Com and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). We reserve the right to revoke your membership to the forum or disable your posting ability for any or no reason whatsoever.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, I made a post on here the other day talking about why i DO think scent-lok is effective...lets see what you think..

Scent-lok is made possible through activated carbon which keeps scent from escaping, now it may seem like this mere carbon could not be that powerful, however consider this...

this same activated carbon has the power to take color out of a Dr. Pepper without removing the taste, chemical properties or smell. The same can be said for any of those things, the carbon can be made to remove anything from a substance without altering the other properties. This same carbon is often used in products that don't pass the regulations to be, say, beer. A company (that will remain nameless) wanted to producce a regular beer, however they didn't meet standards, so they use carbon to take the color our and sell it as a non-beer alcholic beverage......This same kind of thing is used in scent-lok, it is specifically designed by some of the smartest engineers in the field to remove human scent. Works well if ya ask me
Old 09-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think it works how much and how good is another question i think to many big name pros put there name behind it for it to be bull****
I plan buy a set next year.
ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

Ok, I made a post on here the other day talking about why i DO think scent-lok is effective...lets see what you think..

Scent-lok is made possible through activated carbon which keeps scent from escaping, now it may seem like this mere carbon could not be that powerful, however consider this...

this same activated carbon has the power to take color out of a Dr. Pepper without removing the taste, chemical properties or smell. The same can be said for any of those things, the carbon can be made to remove anything from a substance without altering the other properties. This same carbon is often used in products that don't pass the regulations to be, say, beer. A company (that will remain nameless) wanted to producce a regular beer, however they didn't meet standards, so they use carbon to take the color our and sell it as a non-beer alcholic beverage......This same kind of thing is used in scent-lok, it is specifically designed by some of the smartest engineers in the field to remove human scent. Works well if ya ask me
Old 09-13-2008, 08:59 PM

Ok this is the way i see it....scent lok is a waste of money! The purpose of scent elimination is to eliminate scent. Why spend uber big bucks on clothing with carbon in it?! You can eliminate scent simply...all you need to do is shower in unscented shampoos, wash your clothes in unscented detergent(I use the hunting stuff, but you can just use baking soda), and store your clothes in a bin, away from smells. Furthermore, don't use scented deodorant or anything that gives off a scent on you. There ya go---no scent!!!! I don't play the wind and never will. I have had deer come in from every direction imaginable--they are unpredictable! If i have made every precaution to eliminate that scent then i should have nothing to worry about. The deer may still smell me but thats part of the game. Here is the only point i need to bring up---people that wear scent lok suits still get smelled! It doesn't matter what you do---deer can always smell you. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't. If the scent lok suits were worth the money nobody would ever get smelled while wearing one! Thats my point of view. We should stop supporting people that use our sport to put money in their pockets. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these are bad people! However, they obviously see an easy way to make money by taking advantage of people dedicated to a sport so profoundly that they would wear a suit of carbon to avoid being smelled! Thats how i see it...thats my ten cents worth
Old 09-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: peakrut
"HNI bartender" I like that!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

Ok this is the way i see it....scent lok is a waste of money! The purpose of scent elimination is to eliminate scent. Why spend uber big bucks on clothing with carbon in it?! You can eliminate scent simply...all you need to do is shower in unscented shampoos, wash your clothes in unscented detergent(I use the hunting stuff, but you can just use baking soda), and store your clothes in a bin, away from smells. Furthermore, don't use scented deodorant or anything that gives off a scent on you. There ya go---no scent!!!! I don't play the wind and never will. I have had deer come in from every direction imaginable--they are unpredictable! If i have made every precaution to eliminate that scent then i should have nothing to worry about. The deer may still smell me but thats part of the game. Here is the only point i need to bring up---people that wear scent lok suits still get smelled! It doesn't matter what you do---deer can always smell you. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't. If the scent lok suits were worth the money nobody would ever get smelled while wearing one! Thats my point of view. We should stop supporting people that use our sport to put money in their pockets. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these are bad people! However, they obviously see an easy way to make money by taking advantage of people dedicated to a sport so profoundly that they would wear a suit of carbon to avoid being smelled! Thats how i see it...thats my ten cents worth
If you don't play the wind your chances of ever shooting a nice buck with a bow are slim to none!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Just hunt the wind. I pissed off the side of my stand 2 times yesterday morning. Too much coffee I guess. Still, had deer coming right by me. I can't afford those scent control suits. I just try to get high with a good cover, good shooting lanes, and sit still. Besides you pay all that money then have to take a leek over the side of your stand?!? Funny how they don't show that on T.V. nor do they show the hunts when these guys get busted. You gotta figure these guys are out there 4 to 5 days a week. They see a big buck in a field too far off there out there the next day. "Hey lets move our stand over for the next night to get closer" etc... We get to go once a week twice if it's a good weekend. If a deer is too far off we have to wait 5 or 6 day's or in my case right now 2 weeks before I can "get closer". The advantage is not in the suit. The advantage is in the amount of time spent in the field.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

Since you seem to be an expert on this...how is it possible toreactivate the carbon in the suitswith a clothesdryer?

Quick Reply: Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.