Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Suggestions for intermediate compound bow >

Suggestions for intermediate compound bow

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Suggestions for intermediate compound bow

Old 12-10-2018, 08:18 AM
Spike

Default Suggestions for intermediate compound bow

I've been doing archery for about 5 years now happily with my recurve bow but lately life has caught up and I find that I don't have time to shoot as much. I thought to change things up, and to speed it up a little too, I would try out a compound bow instead.
I've had my eye on the Bowtech Carbon Rose for a couple of reasons. 1) It's pretty 2) its weight is pretty low at 3.2lbs. Every time I have tried a compound from a fellow archer at my club it's always been too heavy on my left arm to hold up.
I'm looking to buy a bow and a few pieces for about £600 and then use my arrows and long rods from my recurve. Are there any more suggestions for a midlevel reasonably priced but good shooting compound that isn't heavy? That's a long list of requirements I know.
Would be great if anyone had tried out the Carbon Rose.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

best advice I can tell you is GO to a good bow shop, as it seems like your not really all that informed on archery gear and bows
it is UNLIKELY the same arrows from your re curve will work in a new compound bow, due to spine strength
if you are having problems HOLDING up a bow that is about 4 lbs, you might want to try doing some strength training, as most legal bows will have a min of 45+ lbs of draw weight, you will need to control and hold steady

the MAJOR part of archery is having a bow that FITS you, not buying based on physical weight of the bow(yes physical weight might be a concern to some degree but shouldn;t be the main concern with a bow)
the lightest bow in the world would be useless to you if it didn;t fit you! if you follow here
I am NOT bashing you , just trying to help
GET to a good bow/archery shop, have them measure you, have them ALLOW you to try several different bows and THEN decide what you like or don't

everyone likes to promote what THEY like, but that doesn';t me its right for YOU
best way to find a bow for YOU< is for YOU to go and try an assortment of bows, and I even suggest going to a FEW bow shops, as NOT all stock and carry all brands, many might ONLY carry a few brands, due to only so many dealers of "X" brand are allowed in one area
so, getting a better feel for what is out there is the BEST way to get a GOOD FITTING bow in YOUR price range
there are NO bad bows made today, and don't get suckered into all the marketing hype of needing the latest and greatest crap sold
archery is about practice and learning to put an arrow where it needs to go
its skills you learn from practice
a 2,000 bow WON"T make you shoot any better than a 200 dollar bow without practice , practice is what makes you learn to shoot either well or NOT!
and a poor fitting bow is even harder to learn to shoot well, than a GOOD fitting bow
THUS the reason to GO to a bow shop and get fitted RIGHT, hold and shoot a bunch of models and brands and BUY the one that feels best to YOU
Old 12-11-2018, 06:29 AM
Spike

My wife has shot one, we're planning on purchasing in the next month or so. I shot it as well because she couldn't believe how well it shot and wanted me to see if she was dreaming. First thing you'll notice is the weight, it is very easy to hold without arm fatigue. The draw cycle isn't harsh at all, its just a consistent pull from start to finish. It doesn't have a very large valley, but it doesn't want to jump or dump at full draw either. Its the quietest bow I've ever shot, and that was bare bow. There is virtually no hand shock, and it doesn't want to jump out of your hand at the shot. As I said the bow was bare, no sight. My wife was shooting 1" groupings at 20 yards just by pulling to her anchor points and releasing. I'm not a bowtech spokesperson or anything, but they hit it out of the park with this one. Go shoot one I promise you won't be sorry.