Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion) >

Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

Old 09-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

ORIGINAL: cooter144

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

Ok, I made a post on here the other day talking about why i DO think scent-lok is effective...lets see what you think..

Scent-lok is made possible through activated carbon which keeps scent from escaping, now it may seem like this mere carbon could not be that powerful, however consider this...

this same activated carbon has the power to take color out of a Dr. Pepper without removing the taste, chemical properties or smell. The same can be said for any of those things, the carbon can be made to remove anything from a substance without altering the other properties. This same carbon is often used in products that don't pass the regulations to be, say, beer. A company (that will remain nameless) wanted to producce a regular beer, however they didn't meet standards, so they use carbon to take the color our and sell it as a non-beer alcholic beverage......This same kind of thing is used in scent-lok, it is specifically designed by some of the smartest engineers in the field to remove human scent. Works well if ya ask me
Since you seem to be an expert on this...how is it possible toreactivate the carbon in the suitswith a clothesdryer?

If the truth were known, it can't be reactivated in a home dryer. Carbon traps fatty acids and oils from perspiration, sweat, greasy odors it comes in contact with. The home dryer does not get hot enough to release these non-volitile substances. If you'll note all the commercials for these "scent illimination" garments say they trap replicated human odor. They tell you if you read the test they used highly volitile substances. They did this because they can be driven out with heat from a dryer. Fatty acids, body oils and the like are totally non volitile. You'd have to set the thing on fire before any supposedly trapped oils were released. I worked with carbon and activated carbon in powdered filters and paper filters with carbon core and all carbon filters for 30 years. I was in on some extensive testing and experimenting at the International Fabricare Institute that was geared toward removing contaminents from the carbon and solvent recovery. Even with raw steam injection it's impossible. Dryers???/ PPffftttt... useless. Carbon Clothing.... one of the biggest scams in the hunting world.

P.S. Furthermore, the amount of carbon in these garments is so small. There is so much space between their little dots. Odors and vapors are just like liquids, they take the path of least resistance. More goes between their dots than could ever possibly be absorbed. They overcome a lot of the intial criticism that these garments were hot and stuffy and didn't breath by putting less and less actual carbon in them. Trust me, if you ever saw a one pound bag of activated carbon dust dropped on the floor you'd see some nasty crap that stains everything. There is onlyenough of this stuff in these garments to beable to say they have activated carbon in them. It's one very successful con with NO merit.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

I wont use it because ive killed more deer stalking and staying downwind. Plus rubbing leaves and brush on my hunting suit will cover up the human scent enough...And plus what did hunters do for the 1.5 million years before scent lok came out. please spend that money elsewhere. like a better bow or even another bow.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Dominant Buck

like a better bow or even another bow.
....OR... maybe some windfloaters.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

yes thats right..good man all american smart alleck i like.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:23 AM
Spike

Default Scent Lok is still a joke in 2018

I ordered a heavy weight base layer for cold weather hunting for $75 a piece top and bottom when I received the base layers the scenes were coming undone on the pants call scent Lok they couldn't send me an exchange I had to send the whole order back to them they would have to refund my money which would take 10 days after they received the product well today I just got my refund over two weeks later and only half the money $74.99 was refunded call scent Lok the lady said she would have to contact accounting and get back with me so in the meantime during all this I had to order another set of base layers and wait for them to come in just so I could hunt the few days I have left of this year I already missed most of the rut scent Lok is a joke buyer beware not only does their product Fall Apart you have to send your entire order back to them once they receive it you have to wait 10 business days to get a refund and only received partial refund that's not how you treat customers who's been repeated customers will never buy scent Lok products ever again will use Nomad hunting clothing or Under Armour for now on