HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Top pin hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/262603-top-pin-hunting.html)

oakcreek 09-11-2008 08:40 AM

Top pin hunting

Do like to be confined to just one range? I hunted a spot last night, a prime travelroutewhen i was up in my tree looking around I just didn't have the visability i like and probably willmake a move in the future to extend my range out to the 40 yard markand visability out to 80-100 yards. What do you all prefer when setting stands?

Ben / PA 09-11-2008 08:44 AM

RE: Top pin hunting

If it is good, its good. Don't move just because you want to give yourself longer shots. If you are moving to get yourself in a better position and it might require a longer shot so be it.

TexasBowHunter 09-11-2008 08:51 AM

I have set up's where I can see a long ways on one ranch but the ranchI hunt the most is too thick to really be able to see very far. I prefer to be able to see 60yards out and have shot opportunities in the 30 yd range, however it seldom works out that way for me. I find a spot I feel is going to produce what everit is I am trying to score (buck, doe, exotic, hog) and I set my stand up, I try not to trim too much but will do a little.

oakcreek 09-11-2008 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

If it is good, its good. Don't move just because you want to give yourself longer shots. If you are moving to get yourself in a better position and it might require a longer shot so be it.
I do alot of rattling and like to be prepard for the rush in with a little more visabilaty i can set down horns and grab my bow and get ready for a possible shot

rybohunter 09-11-2008 08:58 AM

I’ve never shot a deer where my 2nd pin was needed or referenced. (and no I don’t use a slider).

Ok I take that back. Not since after 1995 when I still had 10 & 20 yd pins. :)

Ben / PA 09-11-2008 09:03 AM

ORIGINAL: oakcreek

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

I do alot of rattling and like to be prepard for the rush in with a little more visabilaty i can set down horns and grab my bow and get ready for a possible shot
If that's the case then yes get some visability. I thought you had found sign (trail, scrape, etc) and set up on it and realized you only had a 20 yard shot.

jmbuckhunter 09-11-2008 11:15 AM

Rarely can I shoot past 25-30 yards if I'm huntng in the woods. Heck, right now I can't see much farther than that.

The deer like the thick stuff!!

minnesotadeer 09-11-2008 12:35 PM

I like my one pin at 25. I find the simplicity refreshing afterpulling all the other pins and moving this way last year. You can't target shoot at long distances that way, but the farthest any of my 3D targets is ever placed out is 40 yards. And my longest hunting shot is usually going to be 30-35 yards. Anything beyond that and It isn't worth the chance in the woodlands I frequent.