HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Walk away or fight through it? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/262590-walk-away-fight-through.html)

NY Bowhunter 09-11-2008 07:45 AM

Walk away or fight through it?

What do you do when (if to some of you) have a horrible shooting day. I'm talking a real head scratcher. I shot yesterday for awhile and was all over the place for some reason. The more I shot the more frustrated I got. Not sure what was going on. A day like that rarely happens but when it does it seems to be super ugly. Do you just put the bow back in the case and chalk it up to the planets not being aligned right that day? Or do you try to figure out what the heck is doing on and refuse to put your bow down untill you end your practice on a good note?

GMMAT 09-11-2008 07:47 AM

RE: Walk away or fight through it?

What do you do when you have a similar occurrence on the practice range?;)

rybohunter 09-11-2008 07:50 AM

For me, and this really applies to my trad shooting, I move up to a distance where I can get 2 consecutive good shots and pack it in. It’s not worth spinning in circles to fight thru a bad day.

NY Bowhunter 09-11-2008 07:53 AM

What do you do when you have a similar occurrence on the practice range?
I'll fight through it and try to figure it out until it becomes counter productive. Then I'll go to the practice green to do some chipping or putting to take a TO.

GMMAT 09-11-2008 07:55 AM

I was the same way, NY.....;)

You just have to know when youget to that point (of it being counterproductive). You and I don't talk about it too much....but I swear golf and archery are twins, separated at birth.;)

quiksilver 09-11-2008 07:58 AM

What is this "good day" of bow shooting that you speak of?

Usually, all I do is repeatedly miss the x and cuss the whole time.

Ben / PA 09-11-2008 07:58 AM

Get it back into 20 yards and really concentrate on your form. Check the grip, check the level, squeeeeeze......get back to basics. Oh and check your bow for any loose parts too.

badassbowtech 09-11-2008 08:12 AM

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

What do you do when (if to some of you) have a horrible shooting day. I'm talking a real head scratcher. I shot yesterday for awhile and was all over the place for some reason. The more I shot the more frustrated I got. Not sure what was going on. A day like that rarely happens but when it does it seems to be super ugly. Do you just put the bow back in the case and chalk it up to the planets not being aligned right that day? Or do you try to figure out what the heck is doing on and refuse to put your bow down untill you end your practice on a good note?
If the bow was shooting good before that, don't change anything. Look at your form. And make sure everything on the bow is tight.

Kanga 09-11-2008 08:34 AM

The best thing to do is walk away for a couple of hours and try again if you are still shooting like crap put the bow up for the day.

If you try and battle through it bad habbits will creep in and they are hard to get rid of.

TreednNC 09-11-2008 09:13 AM

walk away. I used to over comphensate for this or that or think this or that is wrong and it's usually me just getting tired, or had too much sugar and caffine and dont hold as steady.