Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Disadvantages to getting to stand REALLY early? >

Disadvantages to getting to stand REALLY early?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Disadvantages to getting to stand REALLY early?

Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 PM

Default RE: Disadvantages to getting to stand REALLY early?

I HAVE to be in my stand at least and hour before light. People have this huge notion that if a deer hears a strange noise they run for miles and miles to get away. I'd rather spook a deer at 6:00 am, when sun risesat seven, and give my area more time to settleif I have spooked a deer. If I'm coming in at 6:45 I riska deer walking by at first light. Fresh noise and movement is not something deer follow. Unless you don't have access due to a field as some say, I think it's dumb not to get to your stand early, justmyopinion.

I don't worry about light as there are multi colored lenses youcan get that don'tilluminate as much and deer aren't as sensitive to.

Scent? Are you kidding me. With all the crap I have sprayed onwind plays no factor. Twoyears ago mybuck came from down wind of me and walked literally under my stand. All of my shotsinrifle (1stbow hunter) have been within 25 yards. Guess I've got the scent thing covered.

Unless your walking through an area where you know they're feedingright before sunrise, it just makes more sense to get in there,IMO.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

And for all the guys that complain about nothing to do, get cold, tired, etc I hear Victoria Secrets is having a special...
I think Jeff was asking all of the "potential" negatives of getting in early. like he wanted us to play devils advocate....no one was complaining.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

And for all the guys that complain about nothing to do, get cold, tired, etc I hear Victoria Secrets is having a special...
I think Jeff was asking all of the "potential" negatives of getting in early. like he wanted us to play devils advocate....no one was complaining.
Eh, I guess I haven't been on here long enough for people to know you can't take me very serious. I apologize. Your darn right it's cold. I just like to pick at some of the guys for their reasoning.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

DPS---bust away on us! We deserve it.....sorry if I came across as mr. meany pants....I've changed about 140 diapers today and am worn out
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay so here is my scenario, on one of my best morning stands.

It is actually our "back 40". I have to drive down the road and access through an easement. I then have to walk by (to the North, or my right) A corn field, then a bean field, and (to the south, my left) a crp field and woods, where they are bedding. I have a stand hung along the beans, and edge of the bedding area.

So--hunt morning and sneak in early hoping not to spook them off the fields

or--hunt evening and catch them coming from the woods/bedding going to the fields
Old 09-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not being able to stay thru the 1:00 PM hour because you have been on stand since 4:00 AM. I really have a problem with leaving my stand, rather than getting to it. I just don't want to leave until afternoon. Then, if I am doing an evening hunt as well, I may as well just stay on stand or move to another for the evening.

Lots of big bucks killed mid-day. I like my odds better if I go in about 1hr before light and stay put longer.

LT