Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What should a bowhunter be allowed to carry for self-defense? >

What should a bowhunter be allowed to carry for self-defense?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What should a bowhunter be allowed to carry for self-defense?

Old 09-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Default RE: What should a bowhunter be allowed to carry for self-defense?

Popular or not, I've decidedly taken a stand against any legislation that enables poachers to simplify the practice of their trade. If that comes with the loss of a perceived "right" to carry a certain class of firearms into the bowhunting stand, then so be it.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Anyone can shoot a deer in the heart with a pistol then call it a broadhead hole so I can only agree,guns are not allowed in MN. while bowhunting and there are plenty of animals you might want a pistol to defend yourself with.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always carry a S&W .357 revolver. I have it holstered on the way in, and I take the holster off and hang it up while I'm on stand. I don't have the temptation to take any game illegally.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

quik, your the one with the law background....

there is wording in the PA law that says CCW carried while bowhunting or spotting must be weapons must fall into that classification (CCW) so that, to me, and probably any LEO means NO encore with a scope, no s&w 500 with a 14" barrel and 6x scope etc etc.....has to be a CCW.

carry your encore pistol bowhunting and get checked....i bet your gunna be in hot watter... CCP or not....you were legally bowhunting so you should not have a firearm of such size and likely a scope on it...heck, you cant even conceal things like that!

call the headquarters and ask them if you can legally carry an encore pistol with a scope to your bowhunting stand while your legally bowhunting....when they say no, make sure you tell them you have a CCP.

to me, the wording is VERY gray, but anyone with a lick of sense if gunna read that wording and realize that the encore they wanted to go poach with and claim CCW isnt gunna fly....

just my 2 cents....ive read it 100000 times on HPA and the LEOs agree that if your packing, it better be something that is a "normal" carry gun....the actual law might read better than the book does....

my sig 226 in 40cal must fall into your "long barrel" category...youd have to be a moron to shoot a deer with a hydrashock coming from a 40s&w....
Old 09-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Purdon's Pennsylvania Statutes and Consolidated Statutes
Title 18 Pa.C.S.A. Crimes and Offenses

[/align]Part II. Definition of Specific Offenses
Article G. Miscellaneous Offenses
Firearms and Other Dangerous Articles
Subchapter A: Uniform Firearms Act
ยง 6102. Definitions

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable. 18 P.S. 6102.

Mauser: House Bill 2563 (Amending Title 34 Section 2525) adopts the Section 6102 definition of "Firearm." So, a 16" bull barrel would be fine. Theabove-referenced code sectionis silent with regard to scopes/accessories, so they are not prohibited - unless that prohibition is referenced somewhere else (that I'm not aware of).
Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

The last time I checked the 2nd amendment did not have an exclusion for carrying a firearm while hunting nor does it offer a limitation of the "class" of firearm you can carry while hunting.

I am glad to see that so many of you are so quick to give up your constitutional rights to keep poachers from using said guns in criminal acts. I bet many of you are quick to point out that criminals on the streets will be criminals and laws do not apply to them. Why do you feel any different with this?

IMO those of you that are against allowing the posession of a firearm while bow hunting are no better than the anti gun polititians that are trying to keep guns out of the hands of us law abiding citizens of this country. Don't even try to rationalize this and say it isn't the same thing because it is EXACTLY the same thing.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

The second ammendment doesn`t mention police not being able to bring thier weapon into jail iether but they drop them at the door for a good reason,most laws are there for a very good reason and I`m sure poachers hate the fact that they can`t carry a gun while bowhunting in mn. but that law is there for a reason.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been carrying concealed for 20+ yrs and never had the thought to poach a deer during bow season.This is what I carry-ALL THE TIME

Old 09-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

The second ammendment doesn`t mention police not being able to bring thier weapon into jail iether but they drop them at the door for a good reason,
And how many officers lives would be saved if they were allowed to carry their duty weapons and simply shoot the criminals the instant their lives were threatened. Or if the criminals had their butts locked up like they should be instead of out playing basket ball and lifting weights.

Legislated helplessness.

But this is another topic all together.

most laws are there for a very good reason
I guess as long as enough polititians think that the next gun law is being made for a "good reason" or is a "common sense" law it will be ok and we should just accept it.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

We don't have bears, cougars, bobcats, coyotes here so I have to say I dont feel the need to "defend" myself and even against humans as its safe here especially in the woods.

Quick Reply: What should a bowhunter be allowed to carry for self-defense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.