Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem >

Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

Ok so how is this problem fixed perfectly since all im doing is shooting low???? Why readjust sight. rest, nockpoint, etc, when im shooting low???? I understand abotu the other guy yes, he may want ot adjust more than his sight and rest.

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

I have a similar issue with my Muzzy Mx4s on my carbons, I talked to my proshop and Mike said its a plaining issue. You need to sight your bow in for the broadheads or use a mechanical style head.
Absoluely not!Nothing personal wis-b-h, but if a broadhead tipped arrow is planing, then you have a tuning issue that needs to be corrected correctly. Moving a sight is not the answer, and just throwing on a mechanical is not either.I just cannot express enough the importance of a straight flying arrow when it comes to hunting. You are cheating yourself and the animal you hunt ifyou hunt with anything less.

In fact, there is a thread floating around here about why be anti-mechanical, and that right there is why I am anti-mechanical, because too many hunters throw on a mechanical instead of tuning their bow for good arrow flight.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 AM

NavyDeerHunter,
You need to learn how to properly grip the bow and tune your bow. Its never too late! There is no need to grip it tight! And as far as your "Planing", you need to adjust your rest for left/right and up/down issues. Your planing arrows is taking away KE from your arrow. Your trying to kill an animal, not fling arrows at a target. Get the max out of your set up! By taking the time to properly grip your bow, learn good form and tuning your bow will make you know your set up that much better. Don't be afraid to tinker! Fixed blade B/H Can and Do fly with your field points! You might try a search on proper grips and other tuning issues! Just a thought! Good luck!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Ok so how is this problem fixed perfectly since all im doing is shooting low???? Why readjust sight. rest, nockpoint, etc, when im shooting low???? I understand abotu the other guy yes, he may want ot adjust more than his sight and rest.
Why? Because shooting low means you aren't tuned. Move your rest up just a hair and try it (or move the nock pt down a hair). It takes less effort to move a nock pt than adjust a sight, IMO. Think of it like this...your bh tipped arrow wants to travel in the exact direction it is pointed when you release. So, if yours are going low, your arrow is starting out pointed down. Move the rest up, or the nock pt down to correct.

A field pt tipped arrow is much, much more influenced (corrected) by your fletchings, so they often will not reflect the exact direction they are pointed at release. Also, they will most certainly group ok even out of a poorly tuned bow, simply because the fletching can keep them under control and allow them all to go to the same location on the target.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

Ahhhhhhh, now this may be my problem. When I bought my Arizona E-Z fletch I mistakenly picked up a "straight"...and for alum arrows at that...and I shoot carbon. [8D] Guess I was not paying very close attention that day.
I have since ordered a new jig and will put right helical on my arrows when it comes in. As such, I probably won't feel comfortable until I do and therefore may end up missing opening day. [:@][&o]

Agree.Make sure each head spins on the arrow perfectly. Also, make sure your fletchings are fletched helical or at least straight offset. Straight fletch is going to give you some fits.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:17 AM

I found this. Maybe this will help.

Proper grip
http://www.buckmasters.com/BM/Deskto...amp;PortalID=0

Paper tuning
http://www.huntingblades.com/papertuningbow.html

Read the black and red bold lines at the bottom!
http://www.huntingblades.com/papertuningbow.html

Old 09-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks James. I do appreciate your input, but I'm not new to archery and have been shooting for about 30 years. I'm certain that my grip is not the problem and that proper shooting form/technique is not something that Ineed to worry about. I've been told by several pro-shop folks that my form is perfect, but more importantly I've killed more than my share of deer and never had a problem. Something has changed in my gear and I'm trying to figure that out. If I can put a group of FPs spot on to where I'm aiming and all of the shafts are touching each other, but then using the same shooting form/technique I shoot my BHs and they are 6" left and in a loose group, I figure it's not me.

ORIGINAL: james/d

NavyDeerHunter,
You need to learn how to properly grip the bow and tune your bow. Its never too late! There is no need to grip it tight! And as far as your "Planing", you need to adjust your rest for left/right and up/down issues. Your planing arrows is taking away KE from your arrow. Your trying to kill an animal, not fling arrows at a target. Get the max out of your set up! By taking the time to properly grip your bow, learn good form and tuning your bow will make you know your set up that much better. Don't be afraid to tinker! Fixed blade B/H Can and Do fly with your field points! You might try a search on proper grips and other tuning issues! Just a thought! Good luck!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

No worries Brett. I was just busting your chops and probably should have used the [8D]to indicate so.

Onward.

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Navy--sorry for the HIJACK. I didn't mean to do it all. I was just caught up with what I was doing yesterday and it was important. Sometimes on my threads, people start similar discussions to what I am asking and it seems to help me gain a better understanding. That being said, sorry about the hijack.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 AM

In fact, there is a thread floating around here about why be anti-mechanical, and that right there is why I am anti-mechanical, because too many hunters throw on a mechanical instead of tuning their bow for good arrow flight.
Ok...so I went and read thru that mechanical thread I referenced...whew! I am gonna just clarify right now, seeing as how some guys are taking things pretty serious in that thread, LOL. I am not anti-mechanical. But I sure do hate to see someone throw on a mechanical because they can get it to fly without tuning their bow properly. IMO, there should be no less tuning involved with a mechanical than with a fixed blade.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

A small problem I am having is sometimes I see the front of my arrows kick out to the side then get straighten again as they fly.....you think I am shooting too light of a broadhead...100 grain fixed blade? I have 400 grain Beman's that are cut at 28.5". I can't figure it out.
FOC is 13.1%, you're ok there!!! But your spine IS weak. You'd be better off with a 340 with a 125gr tip, or looking into a different line all together unfortunately. A Beman ICS Energy in a 360 w/ a 100gr tip is about as good as I can do for you for a recommendation, but a second would be a MFX 340 or Hunter ELITE 340 w/ a 125gr tip, are CLOSE, even better with 135gr tip though.

HONESTLY, if a BH is on the fore-end of that arrow, it's going to accentuate form flaws, which will make your groupings worse. Guys who just move their sights to their BH's groups usually will have problems at longer distances, 40+, because if you need to move your sights to your BH's, you're not fixing the problem, which is the TUNE of the bow, you're putting a bandaid over it. Very small adjustments towards the direction you want the BH's to move IS the correct way to do it, and once you get your BH and FP's shooting to a near same POI (point of impact), you'll find that you shoot BH AND FP's better than you did before. Provided that you are RIGHT spined and have arrows spinning TRUE, you SHOULD be able to accomplish this.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Why? Because shooting low means you aren't tuned. Move your rest up just a hair and try it (or move the nock pt down a hair). It takes less effort to move a nock pt than adjust a sight, IMO. Think of it like this...your bh tipped arrow wants to travel in the exact direction it is pointed when you release. So, if yours are going low, your arrow is starting out pointed down. Move the rest up, or the nock pt down to correct.
Shooting low doesn't mean you aren't "tuned", necessarily. It could mean you need to make a simple sight adjustment. If your arrow is flying true....and your center shot is correct....a sight adjuatment is ALL that is needed in this instance.

Also....a rest adjustment is WAYyyyyy more simple than a nock point adjustment....and a sight adjustment is WAyyyy more simple than either the nock point OR the rest adjustment (especially if it isn't needed).

Quick Reply: Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.