Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Third Axis leveling....to worry or not? >

Third Axis leveling....to worry or not?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Third Axis leveling....to worry or not?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Third Axis leveling....to worry or not?

This is something new to me....How many of yuns worry bout third axis leveling. I hunt the midwest, primarily out of treestands and have killed deer out to 40 yards at 20-25 foot up in a tree with seemingly no problem. Yeah I've had my share of misses but seriously even on the range we shoot from 15 to 20 foot up, at 30 and 40 yards we don't really notice much. Is this something I should worry about or is it mainly for higher terrain with steeper slopes. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Third Axis leveling....to worry or not?

I’d bet that 80%, maybe 90% of the bowhunters out there who kill many deer every year have no clue what a 3rd axis even is. Let alone be worried about leveling it.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I level mine at an 8.5 degree incline. I just got off the phone with the technical personnel at Spot Hogg, and they said that's what everybody should do. It optimizes both the first and second axes, while allowing maximum margin-for-error in the third axis. Two standard deviations from the mean, that is.

If I were in your boat, I'd set it to level, then go up 8.5 degrees, and start tuning from there. I'd try that first with an offset left helical, and a straight cock vane. No matter what happens, keep checking your bubble. It can be really time consuming, but eventually, you'll get it - and you'll be glad you did!

Just remember, if it starts out nock-high, you went too far. Back it out and start over.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Dominant Buck

OPS... double post.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I haven't worried about it for nearly 40 years. I don't shoot tournaments or anything like that any more. I did for years back in the 70s. I really don't have a problem with left and rights either up or down hill. I think for most average shooters and maybe even better than average.. it's an anal drill. If you have a problem holding the bow correctly for up an down shots, leveling the third axis probably won't really give you much because your form sucks. LOL Now if you're hunting gnats.... it might help.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

kinda what I wanted to hear. I didn't think I seen that much of a difference between my flat ground shooting and my treestand shooting but didn't know if I was really missing something or what? Thanks
Old 09-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I’d bet that 80%, maybe 90% of the bowhunters out there who kill many deer every year have no clue what a 3rd axis even is. Let alone be worried about leveling it.
Your probably right...I don't know what it means[&:]
Old 09-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

heres a link to explain 3rd axis. http://www.spot-hogg.com/newsletter1.shtml
Old 09-10-2008, 08:09 AM

In reality, how far off will your shot be if you're 3rd axis is not set correctly? For example, say you take a 20 yard shot from a treestand that is 20 feet high and your 3rd axis is off a little. How much does that throw you off?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could be an inch or two at 20 yards. At 30/40 yards, lots more. At target type distances for 3D and field archery, it makes a BIG difference. I just bought a Medicine Stone bow vice that does 2nd/3rd axis tuning and while they are expensive, it's one of the best tools I've bought so far. My thoughts are to gain every advantage possible that I can thorugh the tuning of my equipment. For something like this that is fairly easy to do, why not?

Quick Reply: Third Axis leveling....to worry or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.