Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you know who your CO is? >

Do you know who your CO is?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you know who your CO is?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:29 PM

Default RE: Do you know who your CO is?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

It may seem trivial to many....but I've become good friends with my local GW, here.

I'd suggest to everyone to at least know who your local conservation officer is....and get his contact information. Chris and I talk about 3-5 times per season just about "hunting" and "regs". They're a great resource for anything you might (or someone else might) find "questionable". I've dererred to him about questions that have come up, here (a good example was getting into my tree in the wee hours of the morning....and if that broke any game laws, or not). I've also called him from a tree.

Just a suggestion.
I know our Warden well and he is a friendly guy. I always enjoy talking to him. I have actually ridden around with him on occasion while he was out patrolling. That is always fun. The GW is always a good guy to have on your side.

I have called him from the tree as well. I witnessed some poaching from my stand on a nearby road and let him know about it. Actually, I call him quite a bit when I have questions.

He always likes to remind me of the time when I was younger and I called him asking if me and my friends could bowfish in the city park.........We couldn't[&o]
Old 09-08-2008, 01:40 PM

It's a shame there are so many bad apples. The local game warden here in Madison county, IL is really nice, he was hanging out in a wal-mart here and talking to the people who were in the hunting section. He was willing to answer any question, and gave out his business card to any one who wanted it so we could contact him with any questions. He took time to explain why Illinois doesn't allow baiting, showed us how they test for the presence of bait and talked a little bit about some new cases of CWD in northern IL.

Then there is the game warden from were we hunt. He just retired but the guy was a prick. He knew that even if the charges didn't stick he could ruin your shotgun season by writing you up and taking your permit since you would have to go to court to get it thrown out, and shotgun season would be long over. He did this a few times, glad he is gone, hopefully the new guys is nice.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Spike

Know mine first hand, he's a fellow Firefighter, plus every week he's in for pizza and bread sticks at my pizzeria.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

not a bad suggestion....

our old WCO was a pretty good friend of my dads...but hes retired now. dont personally know the new one...there is a huntingpa message board i visit and a couple WCOs are pretty good about answering questions when they can....
Old 09-10-2008, 07:20 PM

hey NY bowhunter,here in woodstock,about half of the P.D.are bowhunters.if that's true of your police,maybe they would more readily take exception to a lowlife poacher!