HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   #age for mechanical broadheads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/261949-age-mechanical-broadheads.html)

Deerhunter_515 09-07-2008 07:38 PM

#age for mechanical broadheads

ok so how many #s should my bow be to shoot mechanical broadheads???

Rhody Hunter 09-07-2008 07:40 PM

RE: #age for mechanical broadheads

I would say 60 plus

ScottF2345 09-07-2008 07:41 PM

I shoot 55# and I've put one of my Rage's through my multilayer foam target. The blades have opened everytime so far and have left some nice gashes in it.

GMMAT 09-07-2008 07:44 PM

How fast is your bow shooting your hunting arrow?

You need to know that to figure your KE. IMO your KE needs to be over 60FP's to shoot a mechanical head.

MY opinion.

TexasBowHunter 09-07-2008 07:45 PM

It depends on the BH, they are not all the same, some require more KE than others do. Pm 5shot he has a website about Bh's and he gives recommendation on there for each individual head!!!!
For my Bh's I would not suggest less than 60-65#'s of KE....

Deerhunter_515 09-07-2008 07:50 PM

idk how fast my bow is! so im not sure of the kenetic energy...

5 shot 09-08-2008 03:30 AM

Texasbowhunter is correct. It all depends on your broadhead of choice. As a general rule bigger heads need more KE while smaller heads can get by with less. Swing open or "jack knife" styles require more energy while heads that slide back into posistion require less. 55 ft/lbs is a good basic minimum for the average head, but you really need to make sure you have plenty of KE.

Paul L Mohr 09-08-2008 08:24 AM

Depends on the head you choose, your draw length and how efficient your bow is. Some mechanical heads actually penetrate pretty well, others not so much. I personally have a short draw length with a fairly low poundage (55-60) and I shoot two blade Nail Drivers. They work just as well as Thunder Heads for me. I do shoot a fairly efficient bow with heavy arrows though which probably doesn't hurt.

Paul

OHbowhntr 09-08-2008 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Deerhunter_515

idk how fast my bow is! so im not sure of the kenetic energy...
What poundage are you shooting and what is your DL????? What arrows are you shooting, length, fletching style, and tip weight???? Is your string loaded, tubed peep, full nock set, string silencers, etc???? With this information, I can "ballpark" you to give you an idea.

A PSE Nova isn't a speedster bow, that's for sure, and I'm willing to be you're KE is gonna be lower than recommended, 50-55 is the minimum I've seen recommended. But a slower bow usually tunes to BH's a little easier, and if you're shooting a low poundage set-up, you're probably best of with some good flying FBH's. I really like my Slick Trick Magnums, and they fly PERFECT, maybe even better than my FP tipped arrows in all honesty.