Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

stupidest regs

Old 09-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: stupidest regs

Things are starting to make sense now- I see that you have two whole years of Bowhunting under your belt.......... you must know everything at this point- especially about deer herds in states you've never stepped foot in! I never said that the 8;1 doe to buck ratio was going to be "sustained", I simply stated that is where we find ourselves today (well, at least after the 2006 data was released. 2007 data is soon to be released, so we'll see what the delta is).
So when you have no valid data to back your argument.....call the person you're debating with a "newbie".....lol. You kill me.....(but what does how long I've been deer hunting have to do with your deer herd)?

So you find yourselves in a one year 1:8 buck/doe ratio? How did it get that way in one year? What wil it be next year. You can't just have a "one year" ratio. It took a while to get there and it'll take a while to change it again. Yeah....some things are beginning to become clear to me, too

In short- I'll ask that you do me a favor, please keep feeding the pastor's family with your harvested venison. But PLEASE, PLEASE, PUH-LEESE- stop announcing to all of us here on HNI what you DON'T KNOW about the Mass. deer herd.
I'll tell ya.....I'm learning you know how to make some **** up.....lol. Just because you wanna try to condescend to me.....I'll do a little research on your state's herd. Ought to be fun. But ...................IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT STATE WE WERE TALKING ABOUT! A 1:8 BUCKOE RATIO IS NOT POSSIBLE.

I'm done trying to discuss something with someone who knows nothing about the specifics of the topic at hand.
The "Specifics" are that your state isn't the issue, here....and knowledge of your deer herd isn't even questioned. I don't NEED to know the specifics. I USED YOUR NUMBERS. I INTERJECTED NOTHING. You can be mad at "math" if you want to. You can speak condescendingly to me if you like. Speaks volumes about you.

When you purchase your deer hunting license here in MA, you automatically get two (2) buck tags & zero (0) doe tags. In order to legally take a doe in MA, one must apply first for an antlerless permit for a specific zone (of which, there are 14). If picked, you are only allowed to
take ONE (1) doe in that specific zone- no other! If you're not picked, tough luck- you can try to apply for anantlerless permit in a zone that still has remaining doe tags available.
So basically what happens is....the state determines how many doe tags they're gonna issue for each zone....and when they're gone, they're gone. But....while they're available....they can be had for $5/ea. Out of tags.......you get shifted to another zone where there might be tags available. But....the state's already determined how many doe tags they're gonna make available.

And you said way back on page 6 that the 2007 info wasn't available. It took me about 5 minutes to find it. You killed 6,875 bucks in 2007. You killed 4,664 does. Wanna re-figure?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Dominant Buck

- 2006 Harvest Report (2007 not published yet) is as follows:
* 10,479 total deer reported (7,088-gun / 3391-bow)
* Average total harvest (since 2000) 11,758
* 2006 deer harvest breakdown by sex: 7,197-bucks / 3282-does
(like I said, more like 2 to 1 mortality rate for bucks to does, this is in DIRECT corrolation to our retarded Harvest limits for does/bucks).

[align=center]Statewide[/align]
[align=center]5370[/align]
[align=center]4160[/align]
[align=center]1038[/align]
[align=center]28[/align]
[align=center]10596[/align]

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/hunting/deer/deer_harvest_2006.htm

That looks like 6,408 bucks (including BB's)taken to 4,160 does. (2006)

Now....admittedly...these numbers might be "off". But...if they are....you're state's wildlife page is "off".

Wanna re-figure? Wanna keep speaking condescendingly? Wanna answer your own three questions and then answer how someone who's never been there knows more about it than you do?

When someone tells you a buck:doe ratio is 1:8.....throw the big red flag up.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey peeker
one of the reasons that ohio has so many big bucks is because of the shotgun and muzzleloader rule and your 1 buck limit. Dont knock it. I travel up there every year from arkansasto hunt the gun season. My favorite trip of the year. Be proud of the deer herd your state has.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

- 2006 Harvest Report (2007 not published yet) is as follows:
* 10,479 total deer reported (7,088-gun / 3391-bow)
* Average total harvest (since 2000) 11,758
* 2006 deer harvest breakdown by sex: 7,197-bucks / 3282-does
(like I said, more like 2 to 1 mortality rate for bucks to does, this is in DIRECT corrolation to our retarded Harvest limits for does/bucks).

[align=center]Statewide[/align]
[align=center]5370[/align]
[align=center]4160[/align]
[align=center]1038[/align]
[align=center]28[/align]
[align=center]10596[/align]

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/hunting/deer/deer_harvest_2006.htm

That looks like 6,408 bucks (including BB's)taken to 4,160 does. (2006)

Now....admittedly...these numbers might be "off". But...if they are....you're state's wildlife page is "off".

Wanna re-figure? Wanna keep speaking condescendingly? Wanna answer your own three questions and then answer how someone who's never been there knows more about it than you do?

When someone tells you a buck:doe ratio is 1:8.....throw the big red flag up.
I believe you just pulled these numbers out of your rectum. I will not continue this discussion with someone who is supporting their position with patently fabricated numbers. For clarification- what I said was that the HARDCOPY published report that I am on the mailing list for (that includes alot of other data along with deer harvest numbers), has yet to arrive at my house this year (but is due soon).

Stay in NC and stop attempting to tell me what you DON'T know about the MA whitetail herd.............. you ARE the classic example of a tool.

Rob
Old 09-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Dominant Buck

So you're gonna call me names, now???.....lol

GO TO THE LINK!!...lol It's YOUR state agency's link!

And you accuse ME of making up numbers?

I had an idea what I was dealing with.........

BTW....here's your 2007 stats, Einstein.....Striaght off the MASS Wildlife website.....and NOT from my rectum....lol

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/hunting/deer/deer_harvest_2007.htm

Oh yeah....BTW.....it's official.............

Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So you're gonna call me names, now???.....lol

GO TO THE LINK!!...lol It's YOUR state agency's link!

And you accuse ME of making up numbers?

I had an idea what I was dealing with.........

BTW....here's your 2007 stats, Einstein.....Striaght off the MASS Wildlife website.....and NOT from my rectum....lol

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/hunting/deer/deer_harvest_2007.htm

Oh yeah....BTW.....it's official.............

back to the stupidest regs topic in minnesota i think the stupidest reg is that you cannot bow hunt for deer while in possession of a firearm even if both seasons are open and you had a tag for both. so, you could rifle hunt or bow hunt, you just can't have both at the same time. There are times that I wouldn't mind bringing my bow with me while gun hunting.

Same thing during bear season after archery for deer opens. you cannot hunt for bear while hunting for deer w/ a bow even though both seasons are open and you had tags for both. it all comes down to not being able to carry a firearm while bow hunting for deer.

not a big deal at all, it's the best i could come up with in minnesota though. after reading this thread i guess our regs are pretty reasonable.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

i find this MA conversation entertaining. yall should pick it back up. LOL
Old 09-12-2008, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: minnesotadeer

We are only allowed one deer per year now too in pretty much the southern half of the state because they claim numbers are down substantially. It was just in the paper this past weekend that statwide, about 62,000 some archery hunters took about 24,000 deer, giving bowhunters a success rate of just over 24 percent. Compare that to gun hunters who took 216,000 plus deer with a 37 percent success rate. Instead of complaining about it, I actually approached the Big Game director via e-mail, asking if they'd consider allowing bowhunters a buck and doe tag, so they could still only take one doe for population management purposes. I used the reasoning of the lower success rate and that the influx of new bowhunters due to this change would be minimal - and that the DNR always has the freedom to change it back if they feel it causes problems. He said they'd consider it.
And in that area where only one deer is allowed, you have to apply for a doe permit. So if you don't apply or get drawn, the only deer you can shoot is a buck. So much for QDM when does already outnumber bucks by at least 5 to 1 in most areas. I wish we could have an earn a buck or some kind point restrictions, its the only way our age structure will get older, that or push the gun season out of the rut.