Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Death of a Life-Long Dream >

The Death of a Life-Long Dream

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Death of a Life-Long Dream

Old 09-08-2008, 04:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Death of a Life-Long Dream

Nice account of your trip.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:22 AM
Dominant Buck

You saw more elk in a single week than I'll ever see in my life and you're disappointedjust becauseyou didn't get a shot? Must be nice to be so spoiled...
Old 09-08-2008, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

excellent...thanks for sharing!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

You saw more elk in a single week than I'll ever see in my life and you're disappointedjust becauseyou didn't get a shot? Must be nice to be so spoiled...
If ignorance is bliss, then you must be the happiest man on earth. Try reading for content next time. Not once did I say I was disappointed for not getting a shot. Not one single time.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr
Jim,
I can relate. When I went to CO in 2005, the hunting SUCKED!!! But the trip was nice, the scenery was beautiful, and I enjoyed myself, it just could have been BETTER, especially from the hunting standpoint. Glad you were there and got to enjoy the trip aside from the crappy hunting. Looks like a pretty nice buck your dad got, he's at least going to skull plate it isn't he???

Sorry to hear about the turf toe, been there done that, no fun, that's for sure. Get rested up, the Montana hunt should be a little more active, being later, the rut may be a little more "on" for elk. Just don't get to "whorish," you don't want to be on the "receiving" end!!!
LOL! Yeah, I should be careful with my lonely slut cow calls. If he flanked me I would be in real trouble

Yes, my father skull capped him and is trying to save the velvet. I should have said that he is not having a shoulder mount done. No taxidermist involvement.

I am glad you understood what I was trying to get across. I think you are in the minority. My fault I am sure.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jim, glad to hear you had a good time, sorry the elk hunting didnt work out like you wanted.. been there done that! Real cool you and your dad got to spend this time together and hell of a nice buck your dad killed!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dude!
Sounds like a great time to me. I think you set yourself up for failure. "The Death of a Life-Long Dream"... Come on man. You were a child when you were there last; everything seen through children’s eyes is bigger and better. Sounds like you had some chances and your Dad got really lucky and bagged a nice one. There are many here whose fathers have passed on, and would have given anything to be in your shoes; deer or no deer, elk or no elk.
The only difference between this hunt being the hunt of a lifetime and a complete waste is in your head.
Besides…
You broke the golden rule; you hunt until you get back to the truck (so they say). Leave the arrow on the rest next time.
Time to Cowboy-up!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jim,

First off, Im glad you were able to enjoy the hunt and time spent with your dad in the woods. Its always disappointing when you have high hopes and spend a lot of preparation on a hunting trip, and thenyou get skunked. The first time I went turkey hunting in Georgia with a friend of mine we hunted hard for four days and didnt even see or hear a turkey while hunting. I had more fun on that trip though than I can remember, for the samereason you enjoyed yours, camraderie and outdoors.
Im sure it will take some more legwork but hopefully you and your dad find another "elk camp" loaded with bulls for next year.