Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PROBLEM WITH MEAN V STRING SUPPRESSOR >

PROBLEM WITH MEAN V STRING SUPPRESSOR

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PROBLEM WITH MEAN V STRING SUPPRESSOR

Old 09-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PROBLEM WITH MEAN V STRING SUPPRESSOR

However, sometimes, a metal can fail
Well metal just doesn't fail. In this case I'm assuming it's probably T6 6061 Aluminum,if it's 6005 thats another issue and the wrong alloy for this application (it also could be a 7000 series but due to cost I'm betting not). If it broke there can be a couple reasons for this. The main one being the fact that it didn't make properties. In the case of 6061 T6 it should have an ultimate strength of 38000 PSI and a yield strength of 35000 PSI with 10% elongation. the Brinell hardness is 95 minimum. It has a shear strength of 35000 PSI. Consequently metal does not just fail out of the blue, no Bow is putting out that force.

AsI said the reasons fornot making propertiescan be many. I hope anyone using Aluminum in such an application demands,Tensile tests on every lot of material they recieve soif failure does occur they have certification to prove what theygot what was ordered.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

I've had no problems with my MeanV string suppressor at all. I think it is right and only fair to give him the opportunity to correct the issue. Overtightening could be a problem. As stated earlier, the directions put this warning with the product. Happy customer here and so is my buddy who bought one about a month ago. His comments are nothing short of OUTSTANDING PRODUCT!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Well metal just doesn't fail. In this case I'm assuming it's probably T6 6061 Aluminum,if it's 6005 thats another issue and the wrong alloy for this application (it also could be a 7000 series but due to cost I'm betting not). If it broke there can be a couple reasons for this. The main one being the fact that it didn't make properties. In the case of 6061 T6 it should have an ultimate strength of 38000 PSI and a yield strength of 35000 PSI with 10% elongation. the Brinell hardness is 95 minimum. It has a shear strength of 35000 PSI. Consequently metal does not just fail out of the blue, no Bow is putting out that force.

AsI said the reasons fornot making propertiescan be many. I hope anyone using Aluminum in such an application demands,Tensile tests on every lot of material they recieve soif failure does occur they have certification to prove what theygot what was ordered.
Thank you Bill Nye the science guy[8D]
Have my Meanv and love it,no problems.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Could also have been in the machining process of the threads in which case there could be many more failures to come unless they're all done individually.

Thanks for the info, good stuff.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

The mounting bolt is NOT ALUMINUM, NOT NOT NOT ALUMINUM, read the post before you hang the man's prouducts......now I feel all BETTER whew
Old 09-08-2008, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bowdaddy1964

The mounting bolt is NOT ALUMINUM, NOT NOT NOT ALUMINUM, read the post before you hang the man's prouducts......now I feel all BETTER whew
And it broke? A 3/8's steel bolt broke and you feel good? Who's hanging him? I don't see anyone hanging him. I see people who are inadvertantly helping to make it a big deal.

I've ripped the heads off bolts, be tough to torqe a bolt on a bow that much.

Metal failure in todays world is all to common being that the cost of the stuff is through the roof. Everybody is trying to cut cost. MeanV might not be but the place he gets the stuff most likely is.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: bowdaddy1964

And it broke? A 3/8's steel bolt broke and you feel good? Who's hanging him? I don't see anyone hanging him. I see people who are inadvertantly helping to make it a big deal.

I've ripped the heads off bolts, be tough to torqe a bolt on a bow that much.

Metal failure in todays world is all to common being that the cost of the stuff is through the roof. Everybody is trying to cut cost. MeanV might not be but the place he gets the stuff most likely is.

I was refering to the aluminum specs. wich had no bearing on the broken steel bolt, and the fact that some times people dont read a post for facts and details before running their mouths...like, hum, lets see,.......
Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

You owe it to Dan to edit this thread or ask a mod to delete it all togetherand go about the issue the right way.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dont use one but have heard nothing but good things. These types of things shouldnt simply just break, being that i work around and on farm machinery every day, im going to say he had it in too tight, just tap it and turn it out. if all else fails, get yourself a dremmel and a small cutting disc and cut a small line into the end of the rod and use a screw driver to turn it out. If you cant turn it by hand then it was way too tight.