Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 field dressing a deer....how?? >

field dressing a deer....how??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

field dressing a deer....how??

Old 09-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: field dressing a deer....how??

All those vids seem adequate. Im not being a prick, but one should really know how to field dress a deer before entering the woods. Study up and good luck. I hope you get to use your new found skills!!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:20 PM
GTD
Spike

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

All those vids seem adequate. Im not being a prick, but one should really know how to field dress a deer before entering the woods. Study up and good luck. I hope you get to use your new found skills!!
Do you mean inadequate?
Old 09-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Spike

It's has been said very well in previos posts. I haven't dressed that many deer myself the only thing that I would add is try not to puncture the bladder or intestines while there in the deer cause they can spoil the meat. Along with that the dirt and hair that does get inside can be washed out, just get out the hose and spray off the meat. My biggest pain is the legs as they always seem to be in the way and I have been kicked trying to get the deer into position. Guess thats there way of getting back at me!Good luck
Matt
Old 09-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I suggested this in a thread a few weeks ago.....

Ask all of your friends who are also hunting to call you when they have one down. Go to them and watch what they do....or better yet.....let them let you do it and them give you direction.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Try this link it shows it pretty good as a video http://www.rihunts.com/hunting/field.dress.1.htm

This link by Rhody Hunter is excellent..I teach the slow learners in school,,so let me explain this like i would teach at school.
A. If the deer is a buck there are musk glands on the legs{ Near his elbows.}.kind of like a circle of hard skin..cut these off.
B. Cut around anus and sex organs..carefully..remove. try not to cut though the colon.
C. open up the chest through the center of the rib cage..and toward sex organs,,pull all the guts out...
D. grab deer by the antlers and drag to vehicle..
WE ARE DONE..
Old 09-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Dominant Buck

A. If the deer is a buck there are musk glands on the legs{ Near his elbows.}.kind of like a circle of hard skin..cut these off.
If you aren't going to keep the tarsals.....why do this? If it isn't rut time.....what difference does it make if it's a buck or a doe? Or...even if it IS a doe....what difference does it make (sometimes).

I find this step "unnecessary".
Old 09-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Dominant Buck

If you aren't going to keep the tarsals.....why do this? If it isn't rut time.....what difference does it make if it's a buck or a doe? Or...even if it IS a doe....what difference does it make (sometimes).

I find this step "unnecessary".

You may be correct..but that was passed down to me by my grandfather..and grandfathers know everything.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

GMMAT, great advice about field dressing OTHER peoples deer....thats how i learned to be speedy at it...theres only 2 of us in the "crew" that can gut a deer and have it on its way to the truck in a speedy fashion....we dont like to waste time on our drives...get in, get out, get into the next woodlot...i also like to gut because that immediately gets me outta dragging! lol....we can usually get a truck REAL close to the downed deer, but sometimes we cant and it can get ugly...but, i usually do end up dragging as well lol..

also, ive heard about the gland removal thing too....guy that was with me when i shot my first deer made gutting into a surgical procedure...im not lying, we were there a half hour or more..we did remove the glands from the doe...some swear is makes the meat taste different....as well as letting them hang, some skin and let them hang, some leave the skin on, some bleed their game etc etc.....different people believe different things...i dont know...ive aged them, cut glands off, etc etc...i can never tell the difference...
Old 09-07-2008, 04:21 PM

GTD...ill be hunting in paw paw illinois...and yourself??
Old 09-07-2008, 08:14 PM
GTD
Spike

Marseilles (public hunting grounds)