HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Dispatching your animal, quickly (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/261829-dispatching-your-animal-quickly.html)

GMMAT 09-07-2008 08:41 AM

Dispatching your animal, quickly

I read another post ....and I've heard other hunters speak of cutting a deer's throat in the past to dispatch it (if it's still alive).

Why wouldn't a well-placed second or even third arrow be a better choice? Safer choice?

Thanks.

Chuck7 09-07-2008 08:43 AM

RE: Dispatching your animal, quickly

My last deer was still alive so I stuck my Buck knife through his heart..He died real fast..

Ben / PA 09-07-2008 08:44 AM

I think the common gun hunter was taught that if the deer was incapacitated yet still alive, this was what you do. I think the theory was saving meat from another gun shot. In archery, I ama firm believer in the mercy arrow.

DROCK 09-07-2008 08:47 AM

I have seen this done once and I never want to see it done again. It was a horrible sight to see. Maybe because I was like 15yrs old at the time but I truely felt horrible for the animal.

I would think a well placed 2nd/3rd arrow would be much quicker and humane.

buckmaster 09-07-2008 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

I think the common gun hunter was taught that if the deer was incapacitated yet still alive, this was what you do. I think the theory was saving meat from another gun shot. In archery, I ama firm believer in the mercy arrow.
I agree with this...

Deleted User 09-07-2008 08:50 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Siman08/OH 09-07-2008 08:58 AM

Jeff,

All the deer we have had to dispatch with a knife were gun kills,

I, like most hunters i believe, usually dont approach an animal for at least 30 minutes after i shoot it with an arrow.

The throat cutting method works ok, and i have also seen people do close range heart shots on wounded deer before. I have also heard that the best way to spead up the death process is to heart stab it with a big knife. Not sure if i woulde every try it though (especially on a buck).

Mallardkiller 09-07-2008 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I shot a deer twice last year.

I think its extremely unsafe to approach and wounded, wild animal. Especially one with horns on its head.

I've heard stories of guys getting horned by wounded bucks that they tried to dispatch.

Shoot it again- YOU OWE it to the animal. DUH !!
Yep, thats why we practice to make thical kills even if it means 2 arrows one animal preferably 1 but it happens

Red 5 stdby 09-07-2008 09:07 AM

Not sure about the rest of you, but I haven't been practicing my stabbing technique this summer. You're jacked up on adrenaline from shooting a deer, the animal iswounded and fighting for its life and you want to get close with a 3-5 inch blade? I think I'll stand back and send a second arrow through the boilerroom.

Mallardkiller 09-07-2008 09:10 AM

or the processo
I.E brain, if close enough and its a doe