Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dispatching your animal, quickly >

Dispatching your animal, quickly

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dispatching your animal, quickly

Old 09-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dispatching your animal, quickly

ORIGINAL: DROCK

I have seen this done once and I never want to see it done again. It was a horrible sight to see. Maybe because I was like 15yrs old at the time but I truely felt horrible for the animal.

I would think a well placed 2nd/3rd arrow would be much quicker and humane.
i use a second or third arrow. i could not imagine grabbing the head and trying to cut its throat.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 AM

I think the best method would be a well placed 2nd arrow. I like others have also seen the cut throat method done and I dont believe that it was quick/humane to be done that way.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would send another arrow at him/her I don't think I could cut it's throat, I've heard to many times that it take a long time for the deer to die like this and it's very painful.
Do the animal a favor, shoot another arrow at him.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mallardkiller

or the processo
I.E brain, if close enough and its a doe
I would rather see you cut the throat. This is about the animal and killing it quickly and humanly. A head shot with bow is not a high percentage shot.(and that's from someonewho can take the black ouf of a target's eye at 40 yards, rightRob) And what is the difference between a buck and a doe, they both get my equal respect.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 AM

Over the years I have cut many throats either my kills or someone elses, all gun shots and all with deer being run by dogs. I don't like it, it's not safe and it's not very clean. I have not done it in a while and I hope that if the situation arises again, a well placed second shot would be an option.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 AM

If you hit the deer in the vitals another arrow or slicing it's throat probably won't kill it any faster, it will just hurt more when you shoot it again or stab it in the neck. Just wait for it to die. It takes time to die from lack of oxygen. Now if you waited a half an hour to go get your deer like they suggest then you didn't make a good hit and a follow up shot is probably a good idea.

If watching a deer die bothers you, you might want to think of getting a new hobby. Death is rarely pretty.

Also stabbing a deer in the heart will not hasten it's death, they die from the same thing lack of oxygen to the brain. If you destroy the heart it can't pump blood anymore and it will actually take longer for the animal to bleed out. Destroyed lungs or destroyed hear, both do the same thing in the long run. However I have noticed that heart shot deer tend to go farther than lung shot deer, the lung shot leaves a better blood trail.

If I have to kill a deer on the side of road after an accident or something I normally just just stab it. I have a SOG seal knife in my car for that purpose. It is long enough to make it through both lungs. One quick jab and wait. Multiple stabbings don't seem make things easier on the deer or give it a faster death.

Paul
Old 09-07-2008, 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

If you hit the deer in the vitals another arrow or slicing it's throat probably won't kill it any faster, it will just hurt more when you shoot it again or stab it in the neck. Just wait for it to die. It takes time to die from lack of oxygen. Now if you waited a half an hour to go get your deer like they suggest then you didn't make a good hit and a follow up shot is probably a good idea.

If watching a deer die bothers you, you might want to think of getting a new hobby. Death is rarely pretty.

Also stabbing a deer in the heart will not hasten it's death, they die from the same thing lack of oxygen to the brain. If you destroy the heart it can't pump blood anymore and it will actually take longer for the animal to bleed out. Destroyed lungs or destroyed hear, both do the same thing in the long run. However I have noticed that heart shot deer tend to go farther than lung shot deer, the lung shot leaves a better blood trail.

If I have to kill a deer on the side of road after an accident or something I normally just just stab it. I have a SOG seal knife in my car for that purpose. It is long enough to make it through both lungs. One quick jab and wait. Multiple stabbings don't seem make things easier on the deer or give it a faster death.

Paul
You're absolutely right, which is why I wait 30minutes after the shot on a good hit, even with a gun. Since I've been doing that, I have yet to walk up on a well hit animal with any signs of life. If I find an animal still alive, I back the heck out of there. Last thing I want to do is scare and push that animal onto private land or to another hunter. Chances are that deer is feeling not much anything and just needs some quiet time to expire...
Old 09-07-2008, 10:10 AM

I've tried the throat cutting technique before and it wasn't pretty.[&o] I felt horrible for the deer. From now on...I'll send another arrow it's way.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe in taking one good shot to start with, then if you get any type of follow up shot, take it. You already got one solid arrow in the boiler room, so youve got nothing to do except make the dying process quicker with a follow up shot. Like Paul said, if you wait as long as you should, the deer will be dead when you get there.

During gun season if the deer is laying there just breathing, i will often times stand on its chest to keep it from breathing, unless its still thrashing around.

On an unrelated side, one of our buddies wife went gun hunting with us, and shot a small buck, dropped it right there. But when it kept twitching, she kept shooting. It was like hearing the gun fight at the O.K. corral....15 shots later it wasnt venison, it was swiss cheese.....
Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 AM

Does this have to be about dispatching deer only? What's everyone's opinion on turkeys? Sometimes they die quickly but sometimes they are still alive and kicking when you go to retrieve. What do you do? Wait it out? Another shot? Head trauma? I'm just curious.

Quick Reply: Dispatching your animal, quickly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.