Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dispatching your animal, quickly >

Dispatching your animal, quickly

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dispatching your animal, quickly

Old 09-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dispatching your animal, quickly

i have heard if you walk up on deer that is not dead yet, there main artery for the brain is right behind the ear cut right behind it and they deer is lights out. no arrow wasted not harm to the deer...
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

If I have to kill a deer on the side of road after an accident or something I normally just just stab it. I have a SOG seal knife in my car for that purpose. It is long enough to make it through both lungs. One quick jab and wait. Multiple stabbings don't seem make things easier on the deer or give it a faster death.
This is exactly what happened to me two years ago. A big doe ran into my truck on the way hunting. I quickly dispatched the very injured doe with my knife as she lay on the side of the road having seizures. While hunting a 2nd shot is how I do it if needed though. Hooves and antlers are just too dangerous.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Second shot. I had to do this with a doe I spined several years ago. After I had made certain she couldn't move anymore, I quickly took a close range shot and it was over with instantly. The quickest and most effective course of action, in my opinion. I saved the arrow and used for practice and slipped replacement plades into the muzzy broadhead and used again. So there was not really a waste of arrow or broadhead.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

In 22 years of hunting I havenever walked up to a deer that is still alive...I give em some time before approaching them no matter how perfect the shot may have looked.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:41 PM
dws

The last thing I would do is get close enough to a deer to stab it. One good kick from those sharp hooves would knock the tender feelings and compassion right out of you.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Dominant Buck

In 22 years of hunting I havenever walked up to a deer that is still alive...I give em some time before approaching them no matter how perfect the shot may have looked.
Ever spined one? THAT would be a scenario that I am depicting.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

I think the common gun hunter was taught that if the deer was incapacitated yet still alive, this was what you do. I think the theory was saving meat from another gun shot. In archery, I ama firm believer in the mercy arrow.
Im a gun hunter mainly and dont believe thats true. I have never heard of slicing a deer's neck until I started looking around here. Everyone I know that hunts including myself, would just put another bullet/arrow in the deer. But, I woudnt go as far to say the common gun hunter would cut its neck.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will NEVER cut a live deer's throat. I already know I'd feel terrible about it. Call it what you wish, I'll never do it.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

I've actually seen it a few times and heard of it even more. It may not be pretty but in my opinion it is quick. Contrary to a prior comment, without oxygen a deer will pass quickly just like we as humans would. It is much quicker than letting it bleed to death. I do agree that it isn't in any way the safest thing to approach a wounded deer, but if we were all about doing the safest thing we probably wouldn't be bowhunters.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am all for any method to quickly kill the deer. but slicing the throat for the fun of it is a little weird.

Quick Reply: Dispatching your animal, quickly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.