Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting Certification course a JOKE. >

Bowhunting Certification course a JOKE.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Certification course a JOKE.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bowhunting Certification course a JOKE.

I don't want to discount your negative experience, but kind of sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder. Were you upset about having to be there before the class? I think the information needs to be presented then the individuals have to make the effort to improve, make the right choices, continue learning new techniques. I mean laws and requirements are great and all, but its the people that must take the responsibility to act in the right manner. If your upset about the system, get involved, get a bow hunter educator certification and make a difference. The people are the ones who run our country, not the laws and regulations. I took a bow hunter certification class in Wisconsin, and yes it was lame, but I also learned a lot and really questioned what I thought I knew. I thought it was worthwhile in the end. Once again, I don't mean to justify the poor bow hunter education, but just posing some thoughts to ponder.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Wow, you present a very good argument for the elimination of bow hunting. This is the kind of thing PETA has been sayig for a long time.
Yeah, I think I will get involved. I have sent an email to the DEP requesting information on how to do so. Last thing we need is PETA getting ammunition.

I am not as upset as I was about it last night, I probably should have slept on it before posting, but it is still irritating that so little information was given over 9 hours, especially for the new hunters.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took my IBEP course 2 months ago in the UK , i needed it to hunt in Colorado . We had a selection of different types of bowhunters to teach us , Compound and traditional and all experienced . I found the course educational for a first time bowhunter , it covered most things i new about and also stuff i did not know about . The course is their to cover the obvious things aswell as the more indepth subjects such as blood trailing , tree stand safety , shot placement , Game preparation and such . Not everybody knows everything , so it is their to help you along .... educate . If all on the course learn't something form the Day , then its worth taking .

It will definately make my hunt more interesting .
Old 09-07-2008, 07:00 AM

i took my test way back in 1979 (inNJ)and all you had to do was hit a paper plate at 10 yds 3 times ,that was easy ,and they gave you the answers to the written exam so everyone passed then too , there were only about 10 people in the class ,now that i look back on it i did get some very useful information but i think these "tests" could be made a little tougher to weed out people who aren't real serious about it.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:25 AM

That is why I don't agree with them, no way to make it apply to everyone. Lets say I took it and failed because I couldn't judge distance well. Umm, I use a range finder and don't shoot more than 25 yards, because I know I suck at judging yardage. 15 yards wouldn't be a problem though.

And then the slob hunters will just do what they want once they get in the woods anyway.

Paul
Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shouldn't a person already have their shooting skills fine tuned BEFORE they attempt to get their certification? I didn't think you got involved in this course to learn how to shoot. Isn't it more law, ethics, information oriented?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: early in

Shouldn't a person already have their shooting skills fine tuned BEFORE they attempt to get their certification? I didn't think you got involved in this course to learn how to shoot. Isn't it more law, ethics, information oriented?
The course is more ethics, safety, and info oriented. Which is why I think it should be the first thing a new bowhunter should take. Just like a hunter safety course. Proficiency with the chosen weapons comes later. No one walks out of a general hunter's safety course a better shot with a rifle or shotgun...
I do, however, think there should be some sort of proficiency to qualify for a tag.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taking a course in either firearms or archery does not make you proficient. Practice and the actual handling of the weapon is what does it. My kids both passed the MA LTC course @ 12 and 14 but I wouldn't send them off with a handgun.
The course is only intended to set a foundation. You have to build the skills.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I took the class more years ago then I can remember more on a just because or just in case because PA does not require it. I knew in my future that I would hunt other states that possibly do. That said.

I did find it simplified however if you keep an open mind even a seasoned hunter can learn something. Not unlike these forums. My class was also taught by traditional hunters and yes they were opinionated about modern equipment.

Like a question, "How many of you know the weight of your arrow?". I was the only one of 20 guys that raised his hand and when I mentioned (at the time) my arrows weighed 368 grains, they were appauled and berated me and claimed NO ONE should shoot an arrow under 450 grains but I retaliated with, "that may be true out of your stick bow but my arrows travel 275 fps and I've passed through every animal I shot with it"....they changed the subject.

Again, it was simplified but keep and open mind and you still might pick up some valuable information. Or perhaps teach the instructor something.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I touched a longbow for the first time during my IBEC. Keep an open mind. Ya never know.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting Certification course a JOKE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.