Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Small deer die faster? >

Small deer die faster?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Small deer die faster?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Small deer die faster?

ORIGINAL: niehenke

I cannot understand why you would want to take a fawn or button buck. Hunting is a challege. What is the challege in hunting a fawn? Have them come in, enjoy watching their movements, take pictures, and you will see them develop into a challege over the years. They will change their entries, times, their senses improve, they train their young, etc. Enjoy that mature harvest after watching them develop. I knew someone who shot a button buck that the neighbors were feeding out of their hand. Not saying that it was right, but taking that button buck had to have been a real challege, not! If you need meat that bad, call me.
I shot a fawn once...my first deer. I was so freekin pumped i almost fell outta the stand. One of the best hunts ive had to date actually!
Oh, and boy was she delicious!!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Absolutely 100% the larger the animal the longer it takes for that animal to loose enough blood to pass out and then die. It has nothing to do with the distance the animal ran or walked after the shot.

It takes aproximately 35 - 40% of the bodys blood to be lost in order to cause death. The more blood that is in the body the longer it takes toloose that 35 - 40%.

Now, none of us will notice the difference in time (not the distance the deer runs)that it would takebetween a 70 pound fawn and a 150 pound doe but if you take it to the extreme and look at a 150 pound deer vs. a 1200 pound moose then the difference is more than obvious........the moose will take many times longer to bleed out enough to expire. There are obvious variables such as the heart rate of the animal, what tissue is damaged, etc... but given exact circumstances the larger animal will take longer to die.

Oh yeah, I shot a fawn last season. I bet she didn't weigh 50 pounds and probablylost her spots five minutes before hand. But dang she was good.I could have given a rip about the "challenge". She was standing there and I wanted to eat her so I did.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:33 AM

ORIGINAL: niehenke

I cannot understand why you would want to take a fawn or button buck. If you need meat that bad, call me.
Umm, because young deer taste better. I'll pass on you giving me meat if all you shoot is old tough nasty tasting deer. You don't butcher cows when they are 3 or 4 years old, why would I want to shoot a deer that old that I was going to eat. Some of us don't trophy hunt, we do it for the meat and for population control. If I were a farmer in your area I would be pissed you were letting deer walk by instead of shooting them. Sort of defeats the purpose in my opinion.

That being said, it is your choice. Hunt the way you want to and let others hunt the way they want to as long as it is within the law.

Paul
Old 09-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

GET IN MY BELLY!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

no,

me and my brother both shot BB's with our 12 gauges (both heart shots) and it took them 5 minutes to die with their throats cut.
I'm call this one...
Old 09-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

no,

me and my brother both shot BB's with our 12 gauges (both heart shots) and it took them 5 minutes to die with their throats cut.
I'm call this one...
Call it all you want, you werent there,

are you calling mea liar?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Siman I have no dog in this fight.....but what he's saying is what a LOT of us are probably thinking.

A heart shot deer ......under normal circumstances....will be dead in SECONDS. Adding injury to injury, by cutting said animal's throat, and it takes only a few seconds to bleed out that way, as well.

It simply sounds..........."far-fetched" (being nice with the designtion).
Old 09-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can see where your coming from, and all the other deer me and my brother have killed have died rather quickly. But these 2 BB's were still kicking after a few minutes (maybe not 5 exactly), im not going into details but it was hard to watch. Could have just been "twitches" that dead animals get, but you could hear the air coming out of the throat as well.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

No!
I weighed in a massive 62 pound Doe, This Doe was 15 yards from me broadside (during gun season) and hit her with a .30-06 ~ 180 grain nossler.
It took half her chest out along with the complete far shoulder that was only holding on by a tendon.
She managed to run 75 yards
Old 09-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

She managed to run 75 yards[:-]
Which would have taken her all of 6 or 7 seconds to cover that distance even with out a leg.

Facts are facts. A healthylivinganimal needs to loose a certain ammount of its total blood volumebefore it will die. The bigger the animal the more blood there is to loose and the longer it takes to loose that blood.

Quick Reply: Small deer die faster?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.