Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Simple Pleasures. >

Simple Pleasures.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Simple Pleasures.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Simple Pleasures.

5-10 years ago I was looking for land to hunt in an adjacent county, it was designated n urban zone and afforded hunters a chance at more meat. One such call was to a local park.

The conversation was short and to the point, is there deer hunting allowed there and will there be in the future? The answer was an indignant NO! No plans to ever allow it. I wasn’t offended, but chuckled at the ignorance of the breeding habits of wild animals. Besides I’m a hunter and that means I’m patient and observant. Listening and waiting for my chance and the longer the wait the sweeter the victory.

Heard something the other day that made me chuckle a little more. In an unrelated section of a local paper a letter to the editor was submitted. The writer in a near by very wealth and influential neighborhood was recovering from limes disease and petitioning the authorities to do some thing about the over population of deer. Big supporters of this park. Music to my patient ears. LOL

May not be me who gets a shot, but somebody’s going to soon enough. Deer die of old age there. Has to be one of the largest concentrations of deer in several counties round here. A little cwd or similar talk of it in the papers wouldn't hurt.Been some.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Simple Pleasures.

Oh but they are so cute!

People are so uneducated in all their educated lives. It comes back to NIMBY. (Not In My Back Yard) Thing is nodog, those asses in the tree hugger, bunny hugger societies will fight it tooth and nail to STOP hunters from acting. You'll see paid snipers. I pray I am wrong and hunters are called upon to do what comes natural to us, conservation.

The common blind communties see deer as no threat anywhere where they live but in reality, left unchecked they are nothing more than big woods rats consuming everything they can reach, they do nothing more than eat and breed. Like rats in a cage, starvation and disease is inevidable.

Good luck dog.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

I'll do you one better nodog, start knocking on a few doors of property owners adjacent to that park and I'll bet you get yourself some permission. I live in a somewhat yuppy neighborhood that has a "protected nature area", it'sonly protected from development, not from hunting. Many of my neighbors have seen me hunt and trap the area with success. Except from the most extreme yuppy, I been told thanks, those deer and killing my landscaping, shrubbery, ect. Look for the homeowner with a full size truck in the driveway.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the same story everywhere...

I hunt in this neighborhood with houses that range from $700k to 15 million dollars and skillfully plop my fat butt in their back yards without them knowing.
Now before everyone starts typing about trespassing...
In NH to be considered trespassing the owner(s) of the land must post a sign each and every 50' along the whole property line, with signing it and dating it EVERY year.
Also you must be 300' away from dwellings, 500' away from municipal buildings and only 15' off of roads, this does not include interstate highways.
And of course you can not hunt median strips between highways - dah!

Tiny little loop holes can benefit you once in awhile!!!!
What they can't see won't hurt them.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

You guys got it figuredall right.I don't know the people who contracted the limes, but they'll be some talk in the neighborhood and those people are the shakers. Very old money. Couldn't have happened in a better places.

Thiszone of Ohio (still the lowest in the state)has just started to see a population of deer and there have been plenty of hunters looking for a chance at one. I hear ya FOP, good suggestion! Those deer are organized though.

Just thought I'd share this since I've heard others express a sense of hoplessness when an area is declared off limits by some ding dong.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Good luck to you- but like I said, opening the park to hunting may come several years after a depredation company...
Possible but unlikely around here. It could happen though. Were pretty good about making sense out of things round here. A similar neighborhood with new money (I really don't know how they feel about each other ) hugged the deer for a while untill their high dollar landscaping was on the menu. They wanted blood then and a bow season was started. We really don't have the terrain for rifles and no rifle season in the state. They need the bow hunter.

I've hunted around that park on private ground. The home owner took some crap from a neighbor when I first started. Glad to say she stood up for me and convinced the neighbor I was responsible and the need to remove some of the deer was a real one. The neighbor was satisfied and I still have permission. The down side is they feel the need to scout the place out on a far to frequent basis. Hard to hunt there and I've never arrowed one yet. I don't hunt it often. Talked to her (the wife did) a little while ago. "They saw deer" lolGod bless her.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:25 PM

That happened big time here in connecticut. All the rich yuppies from southwestern CT made a stink about hunting deer down there, and before they knew it, they had a big problem. As soon as those anti-hunting bastids start getting their prize rose bushes eaten, they run to the cops and scream about it. Consequently, If I hunt those zones, I am allowed an EXTRA 2 Tags In addition to the 4 for the rest of the state!
Old 09-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: shrewbeer

That happened big time here in connecticut. All the rich yuppies from southwestern CT made a stink about hunting deer down there, and before they knew it, they had a big problem. As soon as those anti-hunting bastids start getting their prize rose bushes eaten, they run to the cops and scream about it. Consequently, If I hunt those zones, I am allowed an EXTRA 2 Tags In addition to the 4 for the rest of the state!
Bound to happen sooner or later as long as their left to breed. And it doesn't require a long time either. Between all the effort going into protect the game and all the effort going into producing quality game, we hunters are in for some of the best hunting ever. If we can just keep the people who charge us for the privilage from knowing it we'll be alright.