HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   A question of ethics. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/261648-question-ethics.html)

standsleeper 09-05-2008 09:37 PM

A question of ethics.

Let me set this up for you. You are hunting a new patch of land. You can't get in touch with the land owner on one side of the land. It's early season and still pretty hot. You shoot a trophy [they are all trophies] and it runs onto the property that you haven't been able to contact the owner. You have no permission to retrieve. The deer is getting hotter by the minute. You can all but see the deer on the other property. What do you do. Some would simplyassume it would be O.K. to get the deer. { with outpermission] Others might let the deerspoil. I think under those circumstances [in Ohio] you could call the game warden and get your deer. All other avenues exhausted, What would you do?

GR8atta2d 09-05-2008 09:47 PM

RE: A question of ethics.

I'd get my deer. If I was out of eye-shot I wouldn't even ask.

Bring on the flames..........I can take it.

drockw 09-05-2008 09:51 PM

Id be getting my deer. Harvest the animal, use its food. in order to do that you would have to "trespass". ifthe property ownerwanted to be a dick about it and say i couldnt have it or theywould presschargesthey better be packin heat or be able to kick my ass b/c we would be fighting. not tryin to sound like some uneducated hick, but why would anyone be that way. i know if someone shot a deer and it ran 3 miles and dropped dead in my backyard i would gladly allow the person with or without permission to at least retrieve the animal andassuming they arent stealing or trying to destroy my property/land.like i said, i dont want to sound like a punk or nothing, but would any of you object to letting someone retrieve the animal they killed on "their" property which fell on "your" property. maybe im missing something, but i wouldnt, unless i felt like they were up to no good, or in fact shot the animal on my property. different situations call for different actions i guess, and the same goes for my answer to i suppose.

standsleeper 09-05-2008 09:53 PM

Gr8 I didn't expect any less from ya. I'm in that situation now in a way. I Can't find the landowner on one side of this property. I have permision on all other land. the owner is out of Stae and nobody seems able to reach him. He leases the land to gun hunters from out of state as well. I can't get any info on them either. I hope if it happens that way , the game warden will help me out. Above Board.

Washington Hunter 09-05-2008 09:56 PM

Washington is a free chase state, meaning I can cross onto someone's property without their permission to retrieve my game.

Even if it weren't a free chase state, I'd still be getting my deer.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-05-2008 09:57 PM

Shooting and letting the deer spoil is the worst offense in that scenerio.

OHbowhntr 09-05-2008 10:05 PM

ORIGINAL: drockw

Id be getting my deer. Harvest the animal, use its food. in order to do that you would have to "trespass". ifthe property ownerwanted to be a dick about it and say i couldnt have it or theywould presschargesthey better be packin heat or be able to kick my ass b/c we would be fighting. not tryin to sound like some uneducated hick, but why would anyone be that way. i know if someone shot a deer and it ran 3 miles and dropped dead in my backyard i would gladly allow the person with or without permission to at least retrieve the animal andassuming they arent stealing or trying to destroy my property/land.like i said, i dont want to sound like a punk or nothing, but would any of you object to letting someone retrieve the animal they killed on "their" property which fell on "your" property. maybe im missing something, but i wouldnt, unless i felt like they were up to no good, or in fact shot the animal on my property. different situations call for different actions i guess, and the same goes for my answer to i suppose.
MY LONG LOST BROTHER!!!!!! :D I'm getting my deer, like you said, anyone standing in the way of that is going to be getting an earful. I don't beat people anymore, it's more fun to put them on the ground and do joint locks and humiliate them without ever "hitting" them.

And likewise, my place is open to a hunter tracking or retrieving a deer, as is my mower and trailer or 3-wheeler and trailer if needed.

It's about being a "GRACIOUS" person and the "Golden rule." And I practice the "Golden Rule," I wouldn't want someone to leave a dead animal on my place just because they couldn't find me to get permission, and likewise, I wouldn't leave a dead animal on their place, be it a little yearling doe or a 160" MONSTER!!!!

GR8atta2d 09-05-2008 10:22 PM

Gr8 I didn't expect any less from ya.
Hmm not sure how to take that.. Take your scenerio a step further the Game Warden tells you sorry without permission I can't go on that land either and now since I know I can't allow you to either..sorry good-bye

What cha do now?

zmax hunter 09-05-2008 10:45 PM

A few years back, a couple of guys were hunting some land adjoining my brothers. One of them shot a 10 pointer and together the the 2 of them searched onto my brothers land, never finding the buck, couple days laterthe buck was foundwhile making the second outside round with a combine cutting soybeans. They never asked permission to look for the buck, had they done so, i know myself, my brother, and several friends would have come to aid them in the search. These guys had exclusive permission to hunt the land from which the buck was shot. I just always felt like they at least should have made a phone call and told my brother of the lost buck. atleast They did search. unlike............

2 years ago while rifle hunting some of his land, my brother saw several deer and a nice buck come out of the trees across the property line from him. as he was watching the deer, he heard a single rifle shot, he saw the buck hunch up and knew he was hit, the buck ran off about 300 yards to another patch of timber, the hunter who shot the buck never went to see if he hit it, not too look for blood or anything. guess he figured he had missed after seeing him run off so far, *shrug* my brother went and talked to the landowner who allowed him to look for the buck which he found just inside the timber where he last saw him, dead. they called the game warden and were issued a salvage tag. it was a nice buck with about a 6" droptine!

Guess what i am saying, if i couldnt get ahold of the landowner, i would call the warden so as to have his blessing and to have him oversee the extraction. and if i couldnt easily find it, i would continue to try to notify the landowner just to let him know he might find a dead deer.

TFOX 09-05-2008 11:01 PM

I will retrieve my deer but in my case,all landowners on the surrounding properties have already come to an agreement so it isn't something I will face on private land.On public land,it is a possibility that the animal might cross over to private.