HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How do you release? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/261635-how-do-you-release.html)

Mottz 09-05-2008 08:41 PM

How do you release?

I've been shooting quite a bit lately and I gently pull my index finger back to release. The other night a buddy told me he got his bow worked on and was told that there is a better way to release. After you're drawn back, and you have your finger on the release, you gently push the bow forward causing the release to go off without moving the finger. Is this a popular way of doing it and does it improve accuracy? I've never heard of doing it that way and wondered if anyone else has tried it.

GR8atta2d 09-05-2008 09:11 PM

RE: How do you release?

Boy I dunno don't sound like anything I wanna try. So you have to remain slightly under-drawn and then push the bow out to full draw to release?

I have a back-up release (bought it for fun) that is like some trap guns. You hold the trigger down and then release it (let it go)to shoot. Even that takes much practice.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-05-2008 09:18 PM

I feel what he's talking about is more the push/pull which will trigger you release using back muscles. Pushing the pin toward the target while squeezing you back muscles/applying back tension to release the release.

There really is little push involved and more back tension applied. This is the proper way to release all releases be it a "true" back tension release to thumb, pinky or index style releases. You should never just yank the trigger.

mohunter82 09-05-2008 09:24 PM

Rob hit it on the head. the tension in your back creates the push/pull between your bow hand and release hand.

Mottz 09-05-2008 09:28 PM

That makes a little more sense Rob. I was kinda thinkin like GR where I wouldn't be at a true full draw. Might have to experiment with that after the season. Hate to change the way I do it 1 week before season.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-05-2008 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Mottz

That makes a little more sense Rob. I was kinda thinkin like GR where I wouldn't be at a true full draw. Might have to experiment with that after the season. Hate to change the way I do it 1 week before season.
Definately wait until after the season, it'll take some learning.

Also, the tip of the index finger should not be on the trigger, your finger should be bend over the release trigger to the second knuckle on an index trigger and to the palm of your hand/heel of your thumb on a thumb release.

drockw 09-05-2008 09:34 PM

yeah. the way i think of it (and do it) is using back tension as stated before. its kinda like you are pulling your release arm back more by squeezing the back muscles, not pushing the bow forward with the bow arm.

Hick442 09-05-2008 10:04 PM

I'll stick with the conventional way of doing it.