HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Shooting from tree (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/261542-shooting-tree.html)

wis_hunter08 09-05-2008 12:10 PM

Shooting from tree

Just wondering how much shooting from a tree is different than shooting at a target from the ground. I have my bow sighted in for 20 yards and my bait pile will be 20 yards from the bottom of my tree. Will I have to compensate at all when shooting?
Thank you

John Deer 09-05-2008 12:13 PM

RE: Shooting from tree

Not at 20 yards.

Austin/WI 09-05-2008 12:13 PM

At that distance you probably wouldn't notice too much difference - the only way to find out is to shoot from a tree stand/elevated position though.

early in 09-05-2008 12:14 PM

No. Just make shore you bend at the waist when you shoot, and you'll be fine.

Snook384 09-05-2008 12:14 PM

ok....it is close to season so you need to get up a tree and practice. I swear it all seems different and your shot placement will really change. It just looks really different.

fingerz42 09-05-2008 12:36 PM

I think its funny these new Nikon Archer's Choice type yardage systems. They claim that they give you the TRUE reading based on angle and blah blah. Using pythagorean theorem go ahead and try out a few distances. Just for sake of arguement lets say one of you crazy fella's goes 30 feet (10 yards) up the tree, and you are a killer shot so you take a shot at a deer at 70 yards. (70 yards from base of tree to deer on level ground) Using the pythagorean theorem we can see that since you are up 30 feet (10 yards) that the true distance to the deer is 70.71 yards. OH NO. You're telling me that a normal rangefinder will be off by .71 yards (or 2 feet and 1.5 inches) How will I ever make the shot. Give me a break.

In a bow hunters setting all you need to realize is WHERE to shoot the deer.. If you shoot the deer in the same spot as you would shoot a deer from on level ground and broadside when you are in a tree and quartering away, then yes that arrow will not hit the right spot. But if you AIM FOR YOUR EXIT HOLE to strike through the heart and chest, you will be just fine.

If any of this is wrong with the archers choice and compesnsation for angles blah dee blah, please let me know. To me it just seems like the new gadgets they try to come out with are just a gimmick to get people who arent great at physics and whatever type of knowledge and therefor take advantage of us as paying customers. It's like we are supposed to TRUST that the product they put out is an upgrade when it actually doesn't do crap.

TexasBowHunter 09-05-2008 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: early in

No. Just make shore you bend at the waist when you shoot, and you'll be fine.
Very well said tree climber!!!!!

BGfisher 09-05-2008 01:11 PM

I'm not sure I interpretted your post correctly, but I certainly agree about the use of gadgets these days. We have let ourselves become so reliant on technical gadgets that we don't know how to use common sense or practice what we want to do till we know it inside and out.

I know about the hypotenuse of a triangle and that stuff, but just can't figure out, for the life of me, how so many think there is so much difference in distance after climbing up a tree. And the use of rangefinders (technical gadgets) for short range stuff like eastern hardwoods hunting. For instance, if you are 20' up a tree and a deer is 20 yards away a range finder used on the angle might say 21 yards. Do you really know anybody using hunting gear and pin sights that make a mental adjustment for 1 yard? YES,, give me a break!!! I don't even do this for 3D. Heck, even if you're off by 5 yards with your brain the difference in POI is only about 2", maximum. Still well within the kill zone with no reason to hold high or low.

Just draw the bow as on level ground, bend at the waist to aim, and execute a good shot. It doesn't really get much simpler than that.

So I guess we're both on the same page.

GMMAT 09-05-2008 02:11 PM

The only thing I'll tell you guys (who haven't shot from a treestand)is....it's "different". Drawing your bow is "different". Bending at the waist (if you've nevver done it) is "different" (no reason to while standing on the ground, most times). Standing on a platform while shooting is "different". Picking out a spot on something that doesn't have one is "different". Dealing with your nerves (as simple as actually being in a tree) is "different". Live target = HUGE difference.

For the first few.....you can practice from a treestand to get comfortable. The last will come with repeated encounters.

Go up to the stickies above and read Matt/PA's thread. That first time (and EVERY SUBSEQUENT time) you get to full draw on a deer......you'll relaize how smart he is. It's an OMG moment.;)

Good luck.

concordmountaineer 09-05-2008 02:46 PM

What exactly do you guys mean by "bend at the waste?" I'm a new bowhunter and I've never shot at a deer with a bow out of a treestand before.