Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting from tree >

Shooting from tree

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting from tree

Old 09-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting from tree

"Bending at the waist" will keep your form better when shooting at a downward angle. It means keep your legs straight and bend at the waist moving your ENTIRE torso, not just your arms. Not bending at the waist and just compensating by moving your bow arm down can mess your shot up.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

jeff, you nailed it....

the angle and distance is all nothing to worry about...but when your 20ft up on a 20" platform and have to DRAW with your hunting gear on, undetected, then peer OVER the edge of the stand to get on target, its just a different feeling.

every year i put on my gear and climb a tree and practice from it...its just different...and THAT is the only difference that needs to be worried about....heck, for the longest time i couldnt STAND to actually stand on my Summit Viper...im not afraid of heights or anything...ive climbed rocks, rappeled cliffs etc...but you got big bulky hunting boots on, bulky geat and clothing...small platform...and you gotta make the shot and pretty much stand on the edge of the platform and bend at the waist and somewaht put your body over the edge of the stand...its different...and needs practiced...

i love my summit viper...that front bar gives me a much more secure feeling...now i will lean right over that puppy...i know its not going anywhere and neither am i....actually i step right to it and bend over that bar...i LIKE being able to feel it...
Old 09-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Bending at the waist will keep your anchor points in the correct place, which ensures your aim is the same as if you are shooting on the ground.

If you are taking a shot from an elevated position and you drop your bow arm and raise your string arm to adjust for the angle, your shot will be off. However, if you bend at the waist - keeping your bow arm straight, your string arm in place, and all your anchor points in all the correct positions, your aim will be the same and the shot will be the same as if you were shooting from the ground. Get out there and establish your anchor points and become very familiar with the way they feel. Get a feel for where your knuckles touch your ear or jaw bone and how your nose touches the string. Kisser buttons also help a lot.

You need to practice shooting from your stand, a lot. The set up, the draw, the aim, the everything feels completely different. Best way I know to duplicate a true "hunting" scenario is torun a few laps around the yard to get your heart beating fast. Then try to draw your bow and make a controlled shot.